• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA...accurate?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tg

Cannon
Reaction score
I ran across a wood plaqe with the ace of hearts and spades with hole shot near center from 30-35 yds off a rest,the other two aces look the same hole wise but I could not find them. I have not see these for many years, we used to shoot three times a week and these cards were shot with a CVA Kentucky .45 50 gr 3f .018 patch as I recall. Sometime those old imports can shoot pretty well.I shot four different targets so as not to blow out the center of the target.
cards.jpg

Those old CVAs were straight shooters. Too bad they stopped making them. For a lot of people, a CVA Kentucky or Hawkens was their first step into the world of black powder. I got a friend of mine a .54 CVA Hawkens for his first black powder rifle. It turned out to be a real tack driver.

I have a 58 cal that was my dad's, I don't have that kind of luck with it.
Nice shootin. :hatsoff:

I have several CVA guns from .32 to .54. All shoot well. The .32 and .36 are deadly on squirrels. The .45 is a fun gun and the .54 is my deer rifle. All work for their intended purpose.

Merdean

I picked up a USA made CVA Mountain in 50cal. perc. Had it at the range this past week. I am seriously impressed with the accuracy of the gun. I would say it is the most accurate factory ml'er gun I have had my hands on.

anybody have pictures of these cva rifles? I picked up a .45 cal. perc. and there is no maker-mark stamped into the gun anywhere.But it lookes like a cva lock.
thanks

There is usually something on the barrel near the breach, CVA, Jukar or something,and a two piece forestock, many have made similar guns since the early seventies.There may be something on the bottom of the barrel, I hve not seen this on the imports but it may be worth a looksee.

it has juker on it, and is a two piece forestock, guess that means cva, have not shot it yet. looks like it has never been fired.there is something i like about the planejane look,no frills nothin but business. it feels good in the hands too.

I think Jukar and CVA are one and the same. I bought a new in the box single shot, short barreled pistol once that had CVA all over the box and Jukar on the barrel

thanks, This makes my third cva two perc. and one of the ones we dont talk about here :shake: the other two are shooters for sure,i cant wait to run some rounds through it, could not pass up the deal on this one. Thanks for the input. :v
lonehunter

If you look at the Sgt's pics, you will see the similarity between the CVA mtn rifle and the Deer Creek rifle.

So, if you want a CVA Mountain rifle call Deer Creek Rifle Works and order a kit. The picture below is of their kit that I built. It's a good shooter and only gets better. Gave it to my grandson and he has won a few medals with it.

Here's a few pics including it's first target. 50 yards benched. Gun did not have 25 balls thru it at this time!

Vet%20fulllength.JPG

deer%20creek%20lockandforearm2.JPG

deer%20creek%20patchbox.JPG

deer%20creek%20finalTarget.JPG

Deer Creek bought the sidelock stuff from CVA when they quit making them - hence the similarity. the Mountain Rifles show up from time to time. I have two - both in .50 cal. I will likely sell one soon as I have too many .50s as it is. I have contemplated getting a different caliber barrel - and may go that route.

I'm sorely tempted to get a Deer Creek kit in .50. I don't own a slow twist .50 and I have this need!!! :redface:

On;y thing stopping me is the competing desire to build some scratch flint lock guns and a .50 with swamped "C" weight would fulfill that "need". :haha:

Here's a pic of one of the .32 squirrel guns in flint I've had since the early 80's. I replaced the adjustable rear and bead front sight with primitive sights that are a little taller since these guns have so little drop in the stock. I have also lowered the comb by 1/4" and it is much easier to get down on the sights. This was all done sometime in the late 80's. It is a very accurate little gun and won't wear you out carrying it all day.
2009_0119cva0001.jpg

I don't shoot near as much as you all do,but i love to collect this stuff and i get alot of learning when i stop by the forum.I got this CVA about 3 years ago at an antique shop a friend owns for 150.00 and it is a hoot to shoot.I go up around Kings Canyon and the big redwoods,i live about an hour or so away from the big trees.An artist friend did the buffalo head with his wood burning kit.Lost him last year but will always remember him.The things i see you folks do here are just amazing.This is why i have to get one of Ricks powder horns.Thougt you would enjoy seein it. http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/gunclickrick/Buffalo45005.jpg http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/gunclickrick/Buffalo45011.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks all, the one i picked up looks just like the one in praridogs pict. (minus the carving of course). almost missed out, an older gent here in town told me he had it, and due to lack of comunication i thought he had a inline, when he started telling me it had some brass on it i went over asap.dirt cheap, dont think it has ever had a round down the bore,but it will in the a.m.
Wish it was a flinter.
thanks again :v
lonehunter

Yeppers, no doubt about it at all. My early CVA 45 MR is easily the most accurate factory sidelock I've ever owned or shot. None of the TC's I own (or have owned) could outshoot it. Lots of bang for the buck for an entry level ML.

Back