• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Bobcat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool!SOP for loading is to slam the side of the barrel with my hand after I dump the Pyrodex down it!Thanks for the answer!

I didn't see this hint: leave you hammer at half cock and no cap. This will allow the air to escape through the nipple when you pour your power down the barrel. This should also help to get the power into the chamber.

Pyrodex said:
Just one question,As my username implies I like to use Pyrodex R when I shoot my muzzleloaders.What is the issue that CVA recommends that you not use Pyrodex in the pellet form?I always measure my Pyrodex with a powder measure and use plastic tubes to hold the pre-measured Pyrodex.

The pelletized form of Pyrodex is made that it should be ignited from the central axis at one end. Have you looked at the hole in the center of a Pyrodex pellet AND also seen that there is a "front" and "back" end to each pellet? If you put one of these in a Bobcat, the path of the flash channel would NOT be correct for ignition of Pyrodex pellets.

There are some specialized sidelocks that have specifically made ignition paths for use with Pyrodex pellets. I suspect these guns were intended for those hunters/shooters/users who could not bring themselves to switching to an Inl*ine gun, BUT wanted the advantages of the pellet form of Pyrodex. Personally I can't see the big deal, but I only use loose black powder as propellant. I will use loose Pyrodex on occasion IF that is all that I can find to use. I don't use an Inl*ne, so the Pyrodex pellets offer me nothing of import. Some people like and use Pyrodex for everything and that is fine...got no problems with them... it's a free country (yet anyway). It's just my preference to stick with black powder. Besides, I like the smell!

Regards, and shoot safely!

PS Since you are used to using Pyrodex R, I'm sure you are familiar with the do's and don't's and rules and precautions for using it.

Pyrodex: You have recieved some good (and correct) answers about the pellets use in a sidelock, but I'll give one more reason for not using them.

The COST!! I can't believe how much money the gunshops are asking for some Pyrodex pellets!

Of course, I know that they are geared to the newcomers who have just bought their new XXXline and think they have to buy pellets for their gun.
It's too bad most of them don't stop by here at this Forum and find out the truth.

zonie :)

Zonie said:
Pyrodex: You have recieved some good (and correct) answers about the pellets use in a sidelock, but I'll give one more reason for not using them.

The COST!! I can't believe how much money the gunshops are asking for some Pyrodex pellets!

Of course, I know that they are geared to the newcomers who have just bought their new XXXline and think they have to buy pellets for their gun.
It's too bad most of them don't stop by here at this Forum and find out the truth.

You're dern tootin' those pellets are expensive... I've seen $35 on a pack of 50 pellets. That's $0.70 per 50gr equivalent pellet! Using loose black powder at $15/pound, a 50gr charge is 10.7 cents each. Quite a bit of difference.

Then we have to use 3 of those pellets, plus an expensive saboted jacketed bullet and a #209 primer and we're talking about $3.50 per shot! I know, I know... it can be done cheaper, but it can be done more simply and less expensively using black powder, patched round balls, and flint or caps.

Caveat Emptor!
WV_Hillbilly

Another drawback to pellets, other than the cost and difficult ignition, is the inability to tune your charge weight to find the sweet spot for maximum accuracy. Sometimes dropping the charge just a few grains increases accuracy quite a bit. Rather hard to do with premade pellets.

pellets do have a plus, they look really cool burning on their way downrange. kinda like a poor mans tracer. :rotf:

Obviously walruskid1's comments were a joke but I have to add, don't go trying this.
We don't want to set the woods on fire. :(

yes i did mean it in jest, i did forget that there is always somebody dumb enough to try anything. zonies right, don't try this at home! :nono: :nono:

walruskid1 said:
yes i did mean it in jest, i did forget that there is always somebody dumb enough to try anything. zonies right, don't try this at home! :nono: :nono:

Seriously though, have you noticed how much those pellets look like the Estes rocket motors from the flying model rockets? Wonder if there is some way to get them to produce some thrust? After all, they do propel projectiles (or so I'm told). As expensive as the pellets are, they would still be much cheaper than a rocket motor...

Wondering & thinking about it,
WV_Hillbilly

Last time I looked, they were missing the cardboard tube that are on the rocket motors.
I strongly suspect they have a much faster burning rate too so if you load one in your favorite rocket, stand Waaaaaaayyyyyyyyy back when you poke the launch button. :rotf: :rotf:

Well dudes I took the plunge and bought the Bobcat!It is very bare-bones and the front sight seems abnormally high but it dosen't seem too bad and I like the buckhorn rear sight.The stock is too light and I wonder how I should go about getting a curly-maple replacement stock.Still for 60 bucks I can't complain too loudly!i will report back when I have the time to shoot it.

Pyrodex said:
The stock is too light

The too light stock bugged the manure out of me. Made the rifle too tippy when you picked it up.

Since the stock is hollow, I removed the butt plate and packed 3/4 lbs worth of modeling clay in there (about all that will fit). It only cost a couple of bucks at a hobby store and it balances perfectly now.

Most of the factory guns come with the front left intentionally high.
This allows the owner to file it down to suit the load they want to shoot at the distance of their choice.

The rear sight should be adjustable for elevation via set screw in the ramp. At least mine is.

Hello,
Just my 2 cents... I got a 50 cal Bobcat about 2 years ago. Stock, lock and trigger are low quality, but the barrel is surprisingly good for a rifle that cost me less than $60.
I use RB and light powder loads for plinking and sometimes small game. Accuracy is good. I'm happy with it. Someday I'll get rid of the plastic stock and cheap lock, and keep the barrel to build a better rifle out of it.

Well I snapped a few caps in the basement(while my wife was at work!)and she ignited them just fine.The trigger pull is a litttle creepy but I expect it to improve with use.I do want to replace the stock at some point and may wish to carve my own.Can anyone recommend any good books on stock carving and inletting?

I'm still not seeing the Bobcats. The local Walmart doesn't have them and I don't see them on CVA's website. I wouldn't mind having one or two as loaners at the range so I can actually shoot my own guns for a change. Where is everyone finding them so cheap?

CVA, sadly, has gone to all inlines. Walmart apparently had some leftovers. Occasionaly, one shows up on Auction Arms, usually starting around $100. You might try a couple of different Wal-Marts. :(

Back