• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Bobcat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have a cooperative sporting goods DM ask him if he can lookup the item number and do an "item locator" on his handheld scanner. They can check the onhand count of every Walmart within about 150 miles. The count may not be accurate but it is a start.

mike

I found one of the cva Bobcats at Glasgow Ky, it is a 50 cal and I got it for my Grandson,you should have seen his eyes light up when we took it out of the box and put it together. I was wondering if cva makes a smaller caliber barrel that will fit these rifles? I'm kinda new to muzzleloading and I dont understand how that the hot shot nipple helps ignition. Hope someone can enlighten me. Thanks in advance. I've used a lot of the helpful hints about flintlocks that I"ve read on this website. Wish I had read them first, maybe I would have figured out why my face felt sunburned after shooting even on cloudy days.

i have a couple of these cva rifles, and you really do need a replacement nipple. the hot shot nipple offers two advantages (at least). first, it directs more fire into the powder charge, making ignition more reliable. second, it makes the caps split more easily upon firing so that they can be removed. when i got my first cva the percussion caps were sticking after each shot, which was a huge pain :cursing: . the nipples that come standard on them from the factory just arent very good. hot shot nipple solves the problem

i like musket caps, too. they are easier to handle, and they put a little more fire into the powder charge than a #11 cap. you can substitute a musket cap nipple on pretty much any rifle. its a little harder to come by musket caps, though.

Hmmmm... I just took my Kitty to the range for the first time firing all Pyrodex P with no. 11 Remingtons. Every shot went off instantly. Maybe I was just lucky. I did make sure that I slapped her around a bit to settle the powder down to the drum though. Apparently YMMV.

mike

i have used pyrodex rs in my cva's and you can get good ignition if you can ensure that some powder makes its way into the bolster.

pyrodex p actually ignites a little more easily than RS and, although i don't know this for sure, i suspect that it would be easier to get it into the bolster due to the smaller granule size. it also produces noticeably higher pressures than RS . . .

If you watch for them on ebay, you can buy new or used for some what of a reasonable price. I seen some new ones selling for $130 delivered to your door. Not a good deal compared to $60 at wally world but still not bad compared to the prices most guns on the market are bringing today. :winking:

I'll keep poking around. I'm hoping to find the $60 ones but it looks like the local Walmarts don't have them. I'll talk to the manager. I run into him occasionally. My brother and his wife work at the corporate headquarters so as a last resort, I'll see if he can pull some strings and maybe get one shipped to a local store.

If anyone's interested, the Walmart in London, Ohio has at least one. $60.00 in a plastic stock. It was there Friday anyway.

The Bobcat is a great little rifle and accurate as all get out.

Mine like real bp or Triple Seven (FF or FFF) and a patched round ball or ballets up to 300g. It does not like bullets heavier than that but it will shoot the Powerbelts up to 300g as well.

I ended up filing quite a bit off the front sight because I did not care for the "goal post" sight picture

I took it out to the range and she shot just fine but the front sight is too high Ithink I will cut it down a little.Ignition was fine with CCI #11 caps using 80 grains of Pyrodex RS.Overall a very good deal and much better rifle than I could hope to expect for 60 bucks!

Back