• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Colonial Pistol Sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awreis

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have a cva colonial pistol that the front sight is entirely too short. It is a triangle sight with a post. Has anyone with this pistol ever replaced it with something different? My other thought was to file the rear sight down. I'm currently hitting about 12" high at 15 yards.

Don't know about changing the front sight but you can file out the notch on the rear sight to even them up. And the rear sight will be much more useful as you get older. I bought a used CVA Trapper (like the mountain pistol but a little different) the previous owner had done some filing on it. He took the front blade down quite a bit and widened the rear notch in two places. Looks pretty nifty and works well. Let me know if you want to see pics of that rear sight.

Don't know about changing the front sight but you can file out the notch on the rear sight to even them up. And the rear sight will be much more useful as you get older. I bought a used CVA Trapper (like the mountain pistol but a little different) the previous owner had done some filing on it. He took the front blade down quite a bit and widened the rear notch in two places. Looks pretty nifty and works well. Let me know if you want to see pics of that rear sight.
I’ve never heard of a cva trapper? I’d love to see some pictures of it when you can.

I’ve never heard of a cva trapper? I’d love to see some pictures of it when you can.
I hadn't either until I stumbled across this one. I think back in the day CVA would make a couple minor changes to an existing model and give it a cool sounding name for whatever reason. This one is exactly the same as the mountain pistol but the sights, size of the grip, and nose cap are slightly different. And it has the place for the belt hook but no belt hook. Just a plate that fits the hole. Pretty nice pistol. I'll try to remember to post some pics tomorrow.

I'm not sure what accuracy you're going for. If your Colonial is like mine from the 70's I would think that the intended range was from point blank to maybe 10-15 yds. If you're just looking for something that gets you close you might consider a piece of brass rod the same diameter as the mounting hole.

Yes. I would like to see pictures if you don't mind. Thanks.

Back