• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Frontier groups

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EDP1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I shot these groups today. The first is with 70gr of pyrodex with PRB.#2 is 65gr pyrodex with Hornady great plains and the last is also 65gr with the no excuse 460gr bullets.
3fcf23b9-906f-4301-93fa-a9a1da786ce8_zpse6bd717b.jpg
[/URL][/img]
0acae02e-6925-472d-aa65-e9d760dd5a43_zpsb709da7a.jpg
[/URL][/img]
062fafc9-1227-4b72-8b7a-ce8e22e1bcbc_zps0ec2b868.jpg
[/URL][/img]

I have an old frontier, 75 gr. FFF and patched RB is the best I've found. I think your groups look OK. I've had mine for 25 yrs and it's been great and it's put a lot of deer in the freezer.

I have one 50 cal gropes like the top one with a 365gr Lyman GP cast 30-1 bullet. Great little rifles

I just bought a Frontier in 50 due to the overall high opinion of it.frankly,I hate it.With only 50 grains of powder and a Rb it kicks like hell.Granted I was just wearing a t-shirt,but geez.
I also bought a 50 Traditions sidelock,much heavier and a pleasure to shoot.The traditions barrel is all pitted up,the frontier's is perfect.So I swapped the frontier barrel in to the traditions and I'm parting out the Frontier.I might be different in a cold climate where you have some padding,not here in the desert.Glad I only paid 130 for it.

I used to have one and I didn't think kick that bad. I don't know how long you have been shooting but usually after allot of years you get used to it and don't really think about it so much.
Anyway glad you worked it out and are now happy with what you have.

Been shooting 35 yrs.I'd say it kicks too much when it bruises my shoulder yellow.The stock is just too short for me,its like a red ryder bb gun short.

MAN.. I've literally shot all day long and never had a bruised shoulder. That was with 80 grains of goex fff and 530 rb out of a 54 caliber Hawken rifle. Perhaps your not holding your rifle tight..I also notice I don't actually hold my Hawken against my shoulder..but more or less between my shoulder and my upper bicep..maybe that's the difference?

I like my .50 and my .54 Frontier. I shoot 75 grs of 3f with 435 gr. conicals out of the .54. It gives a hard push but, not what I call a kick.

Latest posts

Back