• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Hawken Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WALKERs210

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a CVA that was made back in the mid 90's or so. It shoots great, looks great but from time to time I have an issue with the Frizzen failing to open completely and while I use 4f for pan priming I would like to increase or improve the performance of the lock in regards to more and better sparking. I did a search at T.O.W. and see two different locks that are described as replacements for CVA's and Traditions. As per the write up it says some additional wood work will be required and I have no problem doing that, just was wondering if these are the way I need to go.

If it is not opening completely, sounds like you need to move the flint out just a tad towards the frizzen face, or put it in bevel down to move the flint out some. :idunno: Also lube the cam on the frizzen toe & the pivot pin

That being said, I have yet to see a CVA flint lock that was worth of the aggravation it carries along with it to get it to perform. They have been historically Notorious for problems from day one with the flint locks. :shake:

Were it me & if I was going to keep the rifle, I would try a PRL lock in it, as much as it distresses me to promote L&R. They are supposed to make a RPL lock to replace it I believe.

Keith Lisle

My dad slapped a CVA flintlock in a percussion Bobcat to be legal for PA late muzzleloader season and has been happy with it... so I know they can be made to work sometimes. But I also doubt he'll shoot it more than a hundred times in his whole life.

The suggestion to check for excesive friction on the bearing surfaces between the frizzen, spring, and lock is good advice. I noticed that my frizzen seemed a little stout and after reading on here and asking some questions of the more experienced guys, I tried a drop of oil on the frizzen bridle and one on the frizzen spring (DUH !). And it made a huge difference!
So simple...

Thanks for the input, I have taken the lock apart looking for "Rub, Wear" marks. Took my trusty dremel and polished the heel of frizzen and the frizzen spring to the point a flea would not be able to stand on those points without slipping. Change the flint again and again, finally have it set where it throws a decent spark and opens the frizzen completely. I doubt that I will every fire it enough to justify buying a new lock but it will one day be my grandson's and I just wanted it to be as trouble free as possible.

There is nothing you can do to the stock CVA lock that can make it preform like the L&R replacement lock does. You may get it to where you are satisfied and that is great if you do. Otherwise here is what the L&R “manual” says about installing one. Good luck whichever route you choose.

LRlockfortraditions.jpg

Thanks for that view of installation. Heck I think even I can do that. Like I said I was looking for the best way to make it dependable, and from everything I have read the CVA has issues, not always impossible to fix is it worth it in the long run. At this point I would take it out to shoot paper and even go ahead and give it to my grandson. Heck he might have more ability at 10 than I do at 62. Looks like I will be contacting TOW this week. Again thanks to all, you people sure do keep me and others from making too many mistakes.

Latest posts

Back