• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Hawken Shooting High

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pyroduh???

I have read several reports of inconsistent results with the substitute powders. Would't know personally since I haven't used any since the Pyroduh purchase in 1982. It proved terrible back then. Still have 3/4 of it in the original container.

So i filed down the notch in the rear sight to make it deeper and went out to the range again today. I also got ahold of some 777 ffg as opposed to fffg and My first second and third shots were at 25 yards and were all dead on, all three punched a raggeed hole off of the tripod. Went back to fifty yards and was hitting 3 inches high as opposed to 5 inches high for the next 4 shots. Then it started raining before I could get to the 100 yard bench and I had to go inside. i'm worried that I will again be shooting high at 100 yards since im shooting high at fifty from dead on at 25 but Since i cannot spare the extra change for a new set of sights i will probably end up sticking to under 25 yards and treat it like I'm bowhunting. Thank you all for your help

youre a whopping 3" high at 50 yards....... :idunno: Thats where i am at 50 and either dead on or a couple inches high at 100 yards.

These arent centerfires so you cant sight them dead on at 50 and expect it to be dead on at 100 yards.

If I were a betting man, I'd guess that you should be about dead on at 100yds. Don't forget that trajectory is an up & down curve, not just a downward curve. At 25yds your ball is really just beginning to rise above sight-line, at 50yds it could be nearing it's apex* At 100yds it will be falling again & will hit lower than at 50yds.

From my own experience, at 13yds my ball hits dead centre. 1" high at 25yds, 2" high at 50yds, 1" high at 75yds & back to dead centre at 100yds. That is with my powder/patch/ball/barrel combination. Yours will be different, although these distances do seem to be a, kind of, rule of thumb for a .50)

*Depending on it's ballistic profile. It may still be rising, it may be falling.

Latest posts

Back