• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Hawken trigger problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelerfan

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I just picked up a used CVA Hawken, mostly as a wall hanger as it's in nice shape, but I would like to be able to shoot it as well.
My problem is the rear set trigger doesn't engage & the front trigger is almost impossible to pull. I took it apart & a spring fell out, round at one end with a whole & kind of hooked at the other end. I have no idea where this trigger goes or how it's supposed to engage anything. Can anyone help ? A diagram or photo would be really great as well.
Also. Will this fix my trigger problem or is there something else wrong ?
Thanks

If the spring is s-shaped with a loop at one end, I believe it goes on the front lock bolt inside the stock, under the barrel, with the bump down. It holds the ramrod in.

If it a piece of spring steel, it might be the set trigger spring.

Try putting the hook end against the back of the back trigger. Is the hole lining up with threads in the trigger bar? If so, the screw for holding it against the trigger is missing.

Actually, a pic or two would help tell what you have.

Do a search on gun broker for items 372546332, which is the ramrod spring, and 372550036, which is the trigger assembly. Is it the rr spring, or the long flat one on top of the trigger bar?

Thanks, it's the ramrod spring. I didn't see where it came out from, it looked like it fell from the trigger assembly area but obviously that wasn't the case. Put the RAMROD spring where it belongs & put it back together. I did adjust the screws for the trigger pull for the set trigger & that did seem to help as now the rear trigger has set several although not every time, which it didn't do at all before

Yes, ramrod spring is in correctly, double checked it before putting it all back together, ramrod comes out ok.
I'll check out your suggestion about loosening the trigger bar screw on the set spring as well, thanks very much.
I had a buddy with a Thompson helping me earlier today but they were too different to use as a comparison. He suggested I get rid of the CVA & get a Thompson, or almost any other brand.
Are they that troublesome ?

I have a CVA Mt. rifle in 50 cal, and another in 58. It is considered by many the best shooting production rifle made. I also have a 50 cal. CVA Frontier rifle, which is a kinda carbine version of the Mt. rifle, trimmed in brass. Both models have a 1:66 PRB barrel.

The Hawken is a bit of a more economical version, but I have shot them, and they work. The lock, I believe, is the same lock used on the Traditions Frontier now. CVA locks are a bit more tempramental than some, but mine shoot good!

So maybe I am not the best to ask that question! :rotf:

Yeah, I realize everyone has there own brand they like, & for some, everything else is junk. I have had 3 different people now tell me about the problem trigger..."you know your biggest problem ? It's a CVA" which kind of had me 2nd guessing my purchase

He suggested I get rid of the CVA & get a Thompson, or almost any other brand..

Take the gun out and shoot it. Then see what "you" think. There will always be "better" guns. But your CVA might be just fine for your intended perpouse.
Good luck
And have fun
Andy

nothing wrong with the cva percussion lock, its normally the flintlock version that has issues with sparking, but thats the frizzen, not the lock.

If you have any trouble, bed the trigger. I had some issues where my lock wouldnt hold back and once i snugged down the bolt screw, the lock would go off. Bedded it with accraglass and zero troubles since and im not having to tighten my tang screw every 6 shots now.

I bought a CVA mountain rifle in 50 cal in 1978 and have shot it hundreds of times and have taken 7 deer with it been to many ronndy,s I have never had a problem with it. GREAT RIFLE.

survivor45 said:
He suggested I get rid of the CVA & get a Thompson, or almost any other brand..

Take the gun out and shoot it. Then see what "you" think. There will always be "better" guns. But your CVA might be just fine for your intended perpouse.
Good luck
And have fun
Andy
Thanks Andy, I'm sure this gun will be fine for my intended purposes as long as the trigger works ok. I don't plan on shooting it a lot, although I've been told it's a lot of fun & I'll probably change my mind

Kentuckywindage said:
nothing wrong with the cva percussion lock, its normally the flintlock version that has issues with sparking, but thats the frizzen, not the lock.

If you have any trouble, bed the trigger. I had some issues where my lock wouldnt hold back and once i snugged down the bolt screw, the lock would go off. Bedded it with accraglass and zero troubles since and im not having to tighten my tang screw every 6 shots now.

Thanks, good to know

Kentuckywindage said:

Yes and no.

Often, the CVA percussion locks made back in the 1970's did not have a bridle on the tumbler.

The only thing that positioned the tumbler was the fit between the journal on the tumbler and the hole in the lockplate.

The lockplate was basically left soft so after a few hundred shots the hole in the plate would wear, allowing the tumbler to twist.

I think it was sometime in the 1980's that they redesigned their locks to add a bridle so that both sides of the tumbler were supported by a ridged structure.
This greatly improved the life of their locks. :)

CVA has "misplaced" (re: threw out) most, if not all of their traditional information, when they moved to Ga.

If your lock works well, so be it. If it doesn't have the bridle, check if it has the screw hole behind the bolster, and has a small nipple sticking up off of the tumbler. If so, it might take one, and they are available on evilbay or Deer Creek. just not positive it will fit.

Does it look like the one marked "Leaf Spring" or like that piece of wire on the right side?

Untitled.jpg

necchi said:
Does it look like the one marked "Leaf Spring" or like that piece of wire on the right side?

Untitled.jpg

The spring mystery has been sorted out, it's a retaining spring for the ramrod.
However I'm still having a little trouble with the set trigger. It didn't set at all before, now after adjusting the pull adjustment screw for it, it sets most, but not all the time. Should I make further adjustment on the screw by the trigger that has the arrow pointing to it in the photo or is there something else to adjust ?

Those things aren't real hard to adjust but there's are a few things that need to be messed with.
Here's a couple of good topics with photo's and a longer explanation's of tuning the trigger.
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...268832/post/1140654/hl//fromsearch/1/#1140654
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/267540/

With your explanation of "set's sometimes" I'm guessing the leaf spring screw in the above photo needs to be a little tighter.
(the big one in back)
The little screw is for travel of the leaf spring, if the lock won't go to half cock with the trigger unset, then that arrow screw could be too low.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back