• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA hawken worth?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazz1975

40 Cal.
Reaction score
While perusing a local pawn shop today, I came across a CVA hawken in 50 cal. Barrel looked clean, but god-awful clear coat finish on the stock and a ton of brass tacks all the way down the stock, and a replacement brass ramrod. The pawn shop owner had a price tag of $170 on it, but quickly offered to let me have it for $100. Would this be worth it? I would more than likely either replace or refinish the stock.

If the barrel is in good shapeNo Rust/Pitting .

The stock in good shape with the exception of all those god awful tack's and wood finish.

The furniture all in tact.

Then maybe I would pick it up.

There are a zillion of them out there for sale on all the gun auctions and they don't command alot of money. I bought a brand new one still in the box on GB for $225 last year. Saw the auction for it was about to end and zero reserve with no bids. Starting was $225, I won the bid and that is what I paid. God knows I didn't need another one.

The bottom line is, what condition it's currently in, what you want to do with it, and how much would you spend for it?

Like already mentioned, there are a ton of them out there going pretty cheap!

Respectfully, Cowboy :thumbsup:

I would say get it if you can clean it up. I would love to find that deal. The only used muzzleloader that I have seen at a gun shop lately is a Traditions version of the bobcat. It had a screwed up lock and some rust - they are going to ask $250 for it...

I have bought one on an auction in great shape for $70 and sold one in great shape for $200. That's the experience I can speak of for the CVA Hawken. Mine was a good shooting gun. Greg

if he went from $170 to $100 that quick I would offer him $60 & take it home for around $75

Critter Getter said:
I have bought one on an auction in great shape for $70 and sold one in great shape for $200. That's the experience I can speak of for the CVA Hawken. Mine was a good shooting gun. Greg
Bought anunfinished kit back in 2007 from GB. Was missing one of the ramrod thimbles and the wedge key. No one bid on it and I picked it up for only $37 plus shipping. Got what I was missing from DeerCreek and finished up the kit. Turned out to be a nice little CVA Hawken rifle. :grin:

Respectfully, Cowboy :thumbsup:

Pawn shops have trouble selling traditional style muzzle loaders. Especially true between hunting seasons. Offer him $75.00 and be willing to walk. If he says no, you can always come back and pay his C-note.

The tacks just aren't my thing. The previous owner never even stained the stock, just left it in the ugly light color with some sort of clear coat finish. If I buy this, the stock may get replaced, not sure how it would look with all those holes filled in. For now, it will probably be next friday if I pick it up and will definitely shoot it before all the work gets done to it. probably refinish it the same way I did my T/C hawken here:http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/288029/post/1386755/hl//fromsearch/1/

You get $375-400 for a CVA Hawken? $150 tops in good shape around here. Make sure we are not talking about the Mountain Rifle now.

Pork Chop said:
I would say get it if you can clean it up. I would love to find that deal. The only used muzzleloader that I have seen at a gun shop lately is a Traditions version of the bobcat. It had a screwed up lock and some rust - they are going to ask $250 for it...

:rotf: :rotf: :doh:

I think that $100 for the CVA with a good barrel/bore is very reasonable.
I have a CVA Hawken I bought used. The stock has been refinished, the barrel bedded, all contacting parts of the firing mechanism and trigger polished. It makes for a good project and my rifle shoots very well.
Ron

Make the offer of $75.OO, put cash in his hand, while you look over the rifle.Stick to the $75.00,if he says, "No" just pass him back his rifle and ask for your money back,,, you just bought a rifle,,

Ghettogun said:
You get $375-400 for a CVA Hawken? $150 tops in good shape around here. Make sure we are not talking about the Mountain Rifle now.
Not knocking anyone's gun or the brand that they shoot!

As for me I would spend maybe $250 Tops! for a NIB. I mean it has to be in excellent condition at that.

CVA flooded the market with so many makes and models out there, they are still alot of them coming up NIB.

I will have to say that CVA Mountain Rifles and Hawken rifles gave a whole lot of us our first start in shooting BP. It gave alot of us an opportunity to own and shoot a traditional muzzleloader and for that, it probably exceeded its own expectations.

Respectfully, Cowboy :hatsoff:

You won't get burned for $100. You could part it out and get more than your money back if you wanted. Tacks aren't my thing either. Like others have said offer him less and he will likely take it.

FML said:
You havent seen or shot one of my CVA Hawken rebuilds :hatsoff:
I have seen examples of your work! I know you do the following to them:
1. Refinish the stocks
2. Brush the Brass
3. Bed the barrel channel/tang/trigger well
4. Disassemble the lock and polish the parts
5. Polish the bore's
6. Change over the front&rear sights to Buckhorn and Silver blade.
7. Brown the barrel

Forgive me if I missed anything. I have seen quite a few examples that you have redone in the past. It for sure makes a better gun after all the things that you do to them.

I'm talking about a used one, or a NIB muzzleloader. They are not even in the same league as the one's you put out after all you do to them.

Not knocking them, I own 3 CVA Hawken muzzleloaders myself. They are not in the same league as my TC Hawken muzzleloader's, or GPR, or Sharon, as well as the others I own.

I have a total of 6 CVA muzzleloader's, and they make nice muzzleloader's with a little extra work, but they are what they are in the end.

Not knocking them but do know what they are selling for. If you make more on yours, I am sure they turn out to be pretty nice CVA Hawken rifle's and you deserve every penny of hard work and sweat that you put into them.

Respectfully, Cowboy :hatsoff:

Back