• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Smoke

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought this CVA Hawken.Seems solid,shoots good.As you can see it is very plain,fixed Sights,Plain Lock.

My question is what twist should it be? I know the Newer ones are 1:48.

000_1132cva.jpg

oneshot

Something that might help is.The only things stamped on it is that it is a CVA Hawken,50Cal.,made in Spain.

But it seems much heavier than my Newer Hawken.

Blue Smoke

Blue smoke

Is that a frontier hawkens or a hunter hawkens? just wandering. Any thoughts on selling.

I need a better picture. That is not a CVA nose cap or trigger guard that I recognize and there is no patchbox. That would seem to point to one of the kit guns. Need better pictures.

Can not tell for sure from the picture, but looks like a T/C Renegade. No patch box and not much drop in the comb, but I can not remember for sure but I think the Rengade does not have a nose cap.

Runner said:
I need a better picture. That is not a CVA nose cap or trigger guard that I recognize and there is no patchbox. That would seem to point to one of the kit guns. Need better pictures.

I know what you are saying runner.I have one you are thinking of.

The barrel on this one is cut off flat on the end and much thicker metal.

I'm thinking it is one of the first CVA Hawken.It is a much heavier Rifle than than the Newer ones.

Sorry about the Pic about as good as I can get with my Camera.

Blue Smoke

Seems to be a separate gun using parts that are blacked in some way. That lock looks very much like the late kit gun lock. If it is, it is a very good lock. Not familiar with that gun. I am guessing it is the pretty much standard 28 inches? I would go get the lock off mine and post a picture, but it is raining. I have it torn down in the shop inletting the lock into new wood. My Hawken is accurate and dependable. The clean out screw seized during the 777 experiments a couple of years back and I have to fix that before I do the browning on it. Enjoy yours!

Its not a TC as they used a snail rather than a drum! Some of the older CVAs were 1" across the flats instead of 15/16th like the newer ones.This would account for the extra weight.Unless its been restocked its "not" a CVA Hawkens.Even the kit Hawkens had brass furinture and a cresent butt plate. :thumbsup:

Thet looks lik them hybrids of CVA and Traditions.What matters is whether it'll shoot where ye look. I've owned a lot of CVA's and Navy stuff over the years and some of the early CVA bbl's were Douglas.
If you want to know the "twist" merely use a tight patch on a jag and measure how many inches it takes to make a Whole turn, or half turn, qtr. etc. and then do a little arithmetic.
With rb rifling a qtr. turn is all you can expect and multeeply by 4. I use a regula pencil to put a reference mark. on the ramrod, at 90 degrees TDC and aligned w sights and watch, as I push through the bore, and go till the mark is at 90 degrees. Multiply this lenght by 4 and you have twist. :hatsoff:

Thanks Guys I'll probably call CVA see what they tell me.Figure I didn't get hurt too bad for $60. :grin:

Blue Smoke

Well just got off the phone with CVA.they said it is a Hunter Hawken,all original,its 1:48 twist.

Blue Smoke

I was pretty sure it had a late model lock and trigger set. Did they give you any idea when it was built?

Blue smoke Ive got a 54 barrel that is for a hunter hawken. Let me know if your interested in selling or maybe buying my barrel.

Im looking at my July 15 94 book that came with a Mountain rifle, it has your rifle,,,Frontier Hunter Carbine/50 cal 24" barrel/1x32 twist /max gr s 902f. For what thats all worth. Fred :hatsoff:

That rifle is almost identical to my CVA Missouri rifle. My stock is darker but it looks like all the same parts including the trigger guard and nose cap.

The butt plat looks a bit thinner but it is hard to tell from that pic is it a rubber one?

Latest posts

Back