• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had to fix several of these CVA drums. I bought the 7/16ths diameter drum from Dixie Gun Works with the 1/4x28 threads on both ends.........I then saw off the old CVA drum and drill and tap the hole thats left to 1/4 x 28 thread......Screw the drum in and line her up. You might have to file on the drum to get it to index up right. The CVA drum actually was unique in that it had larger threads that were long enough to screw through the Breechplug threads and help lock it all together. In other words you couldnt unscrew the Breechplug until you took out the drum as it screwed through the plug.......anyway the communication hole in whats left of the original drum is small enough to drill and tap ................Bob

well way back when, a long long time ago....
cva marketed a model called the mountain rifle...it was distinguished by a longer barrel, german silver furniture and a pewter nose cap. And then the saga got better....! some of those were made with barrels manufactured by Douglas barrel works, these were REALLY desirable. there are a few other identifiers to address this as well.
so we were trying the waters to see what you might have fallen into!
Your new gun is the hawken model, and there is NOTHING wrong with that! I got one as do a lot of the other members here. They shoot as good as the guy behind the butt plate!

Let us know how it shoot for you!

btw, dixie's price on the drum with nipple is 5.85 and has flats on it so you can install with a wrench!

Greywhiskers is right on target, check the barrel first, there may be a reason the nipple was rusted in, one shot can ruin a gun if it is not cleaned after.

It still may be wotrh $25 even if you purchase a new bbl. go to[url] http://www.cva.com/[/url] and they may be able to help you out. or send them a message at [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears as if the nipple rusted into the drum and in the process of using a drill to get it out they drilled into the side of the drum. :cursing: Would a replacement barrel be very expensive if it comes to that?

I would not mess with it.I will pay you the $25 and take it off you hands. :winking:

you might find one on ebay since cva ceased making side locks.
Just 'cause your drum has an extra hole in it doesnt justify replacing the barrel, just the drum.
unless I am missing something in this thread :shocked2:

You can get CVA parts from
Deer Creek Products
P.O. Box 246
Waldron IN 46182
Ph 765-525--6181
Fax 765-525-9595
Great folks to deal with, I keep trying to stump them ordering little bitty parts etc, they've had everything I was looking for. :grin:
Cheers Teach.

I dont think you can stump them Ive been getting about everthing ftom them for about 20 years now and they always got it. Those kind of rifles we dont talk about here , he built one that was a copy of the 98K Mauser (20 yrs ago) great job of it, and the price was killer, Id love to roam thru the place they keep old stuff in :shocked2: Id be broke in mins, his Mowreys and the ones in Tx would be a trow up as to which was best the old Douglas riflein mch he used made some dang nice shooting barrels. Great people. Fred :hatsoff:

Back