• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I just picked up a CVA mountain Rifle from a range acquaintance who has not used it in years. The Barrel had some rust but cleaned up to be bright. He said that he had only used a couple years deer hunting.

1. First even though the barrel is shiny when I put the bore light down the barrel I can see what looks like rough marks (not pitting) could this barrel be so new that the lack of use has not smoothed out the marks from when the barrel was made?

2. I try to get inexpensive BP guns so I can clean them up and sell inexpensively to the rendezvouses teenagers whose parents cannot afford to pay $500.00 plus for a shooter. This rifle seems heavy.

3 I do not know much about this rifle. I searched mountain rifle on the forum but did not see much about the performance of the gun and the quality of the barrel. Your input is welcomed.

4. If I offered it to a young rendezvouses participant for $300.00 would this be fair?

Thanks in advance for any advise and information

Ike

in their day the mountain rifle was an inexpensive gun & it's not uncommon to see chatter-marks from the machinin' processes in the bore.

in spite of this, in my experience, the mountain rifle is one of the most accurate production guns out there.

in good shootin' condition $300.00 is not out of line for price.

my opinions & yer welcome to'em.

Bless you for helping outfit new shooters, many of us are always complaining about the sport/hobby dying off, you are doing something about it.

The CVA MR in decent shape is fair at $300. I don't think it is heavy, just the opposite for me. These are accurate rifles and better looking, in my opinion, than say a TC Hawken or CVA's Hawken.

Several topics down in this sub forum are a couple of posts regarding the Mountain Rifle, one has links in it to additional MR info.

The CVA MR is my favorite of manufactured muzzleloaders, I've been looking for just the right one my self.

I would think that one in good condition would be worth $300-

The CVA MR will put nearly any T/C rifle to shame if the shooter does his part when it comes to hitting the elusive X, fine shooting rifles.
One of the big issues with these now 30+yr old riles is,,
They removed a lot of wood in the lock trigger area,, and most of this old wood has gotten dry. The technique they use holding the triggers in with the tang bolt (button-up) and years worth of folks tightening that bolt compresses that wood. It's very typical to have the trigger group/plate too deep in the mortise, the trigger levers will ride too high against the lock sear arm making full cock tough to get unless the triggers are set.
If you start having issues while refurbing the rifle let us know.
As far as value? I'll give ya $200 right now! :wink:

I think I will find some young person at a rendezvous who needs to shoot this rifle, have a Merry Christmas.

Ike

Good accurate rifles as stated. I have 4 and won't part with any. $300 for a nice one is very reasonable.

Are we talking about the early US marked mountain rifles or are the spanish made MR's good shooters also?

$300. Is a very reasonable price for a CVA mountain rifle in good condition. I have an old CVA Big Bore Mountain rifle . The barrel is not marked Made in USA but it is and always has been a tack driver. I have put many deer in the freezer with it. I am planning to convert it to flint ignition.

mr.flintlock said:
$300. Is a very reasonable price for a CVA mountain rifle in good condition. I have an old CVA Big Bore Mountain rifle . The barrel is not marked Made in USA but it is and always has been a tack driver. I have put many deer in the freezer with it. I am planning to convert it to flint ignition.

Its probably time to refer to Zonie's picture of the CVA breech.

If the drum is removed to install a touch hole liner, then the integrity of the breech is compromised due to the removal of all the metal in the drum. If the drum is hacked off to drill and tap a place for the touch hole liner, there will be far too many places for fouling and the resultant rust to build up. At best you have a long flash channel for the fire from the pan to reach the main charge.

In all you will be spending about $200 to end up with at best another $300 rifle and if the conversion is disclosed, only worth the value of the lock.

I'm in the camp of those that do not recommend conversion. You will be better off to find a CVA flintlock barrel and a flint lock.

flinter36 said:
TRY Deer creek production they have flintlock barrel and the lock for it.

they have flint barrels listed for Mountain Rifles but not the locks.

Ike said:
I think I will find some young person at a rendezvous who needs to shoot this rifle, have a Merry Christmas.

Ike
Well, that's exactly how I acquired mine last year, for $100 even.

Back