• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question About HAZMAT Shipments (Black Powder)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just received a shipment from Graf's, delivered by FEDEX, and for the first time I was told I needed to provide an ID, and the driver said he had been instructed to take a picture of it.

Has anyone experienced this before? I have received these types of shipments in the past, and not that long ago and have had to sign for them, but never show an ID.

Last summer i ordered some from powder inc. had to show id to fed ex but they didn't take a pic. In the same month, got 2 revolvers from Taylor's, fed ex checked id and 1 from track, ups just left it on the steps.

Not sure what policy might of changed.

I always make it a point to be home when hazemat items are delivered so it is usually a hand off, but I have never been asked to sign, even though I've offered. Last delivery was primers and powder about 2 months ago.

Thanks to all for the replies. It was a first for me after numerous such shipments from various vendors and usually, being a small rural area, they don't even ask for ID and most times not even a signature. Makes sense I guess with all the porch pirate etc. activity going on.

Heck it's been a few years, but Fed Ex left a box from the CMP with a 1903A3 in it, sitting on the front porch with no one home. Where I live it was perfectly as safe there as locked away somewhere, especially back then, so it was sitting there by the front door when I got home.

Never had to show ID for any shipments from USPS of Fed Ex but am always charged HazMat fees on percussion caps but not on (black powder) paper cartridges. Never understood the distinction. Generally, most packages that won't fit in my mailbox are place in front of my apartment door. Always wary of 'porch pirates' I watch my shipping notices and since I'm retired, try to be home whenever a package is due to arrive.

Back