• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought one a couple of years ago. Nice rifles. I've been told mine is a transition gun. It has the 2 screw patch box but it has the hex ram rod thimbles and aluminum tipped ram rod and no markings on the barrel.

Buy it and don't look back. I picked up one as a basket case missing the butt plate with a stuck load in it for $125. I cleared out the load and replaced the butt plate, it's a good shooter, $200.00 for a complete Mountain Rifle is worth it.

The way I understand it the .45s and .50s had patchboxes while the .54s did not. Maybe they were worried about the heavier recoil of the .54 cracking the stock where the patchbox cutout was.
ThreeCrows

Did not know this.
I inherited a CVA .45 cal almost 25 years ago. I hung it on the wall, and haven't really looked at it since. I just checked and mine is a 4 screw and says "made in America" on the barrel. Do you know off hand what size ball this takes? I have a box of .440 rb's I use with my T/C Hawken.
I shoot .440's in my 45's with a .015 patch

I have the 58 mine to can be a little finicky on setting caps off. They will always discharge on the second firing. Toy caps which I use most of the time just about always fire.
$200 US ……… Would just be rude not to buy it and help a kid get his/her braces.

If it won't pop caps consistently the first thing to look at is the caps seating fully. Do they go all the way down on the nipple? Also does the nipple look like it is mushroomed a bit at the top. If so a few minutes with a file on the sides to get rid of mushroomed part may solve the problem. Also, maybe a change in cap size. A new nipple is cheap and it may be easiest to replace as mooman76 suggested. A weak spring could also be a factor, but unlikely.

I shoot .440 cal balls with pillow ticking patch’s out of my CVA Mountain Rifle. Very accurate rifle.

I have the 58 mine to can be a little finicky on setting caps off. They will always discharge on the second firing. Toy caps which I use most of the time just about always fire.
$200 US ……… Would just be rude not to buy it and help a kid get his/her braces.
Totally agree with that! I'd actually be doing them a favor.

My .02 cents; bore condition is everything but even if the bore is a rusty pipe, most 50 cal barrels have enough metal to be bored out to .54. By doing so you will get a lighter barrel, less nose heavy feel, plus the ability to choose the twist rate as well as getting round bottom rifling. None of that is necessary if you get rust free bore of course, but for the asking price you really can't go wrong.

My early .58 CVA Mountain has no patchbox, and is a bit small using a. 564 ball with a. 010 patch.

I just purchased a 45 cal. “USA MADE” at a local gun show for 120.00. The bore looked rough and the trigger wouldn’t set. The bore cleaned up fairly well an and the triggers were missing the wire spring (which Deer Creek has in stock) and now they work perfectly. I took it out to shoot and it wouldn’t pop a cap. Turned out to be the nipple was too short. Changed it out with a taller one and it went boom every time! Great bargain.

Attachments

• 554F9086-110F-4A57-9E39-FD802AF4324B.jpeg
    554F9086-110F-4A57-9E39-FD802AF4324B.jpeg
    33.6 KB
Back