• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cva or traditions drum removal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billymas

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a C V A or Traditions Springfield Hawken made in Spain. I can't get the drum out!!! Do you have to remove the breech plug first?

On the CVA the drum is removed first. Better soak it in some good penetrating oil for a day or so. I just twisted one off, be careful it doesn't take much!

I've pulled the drum on Traditions guns before. I needed to thread in a bolt so I could get a grip on the drum with a wrench. I found it easier to just file some flats on the drum itself and refinish it. Makes it a lot easier if you need to remove the drum down the road.

If you make an index mark on the drum and barrel, it's a lot easier to get them properly aligned when you reassemble.

You have to take out the drum first. Here is a pic of tool I made to take out a drum without damage. It's just a piece of 1/2" steel pipe drilled and taped with a metirc bolt to fit the nipple hole in the drum, the stainless steel metric screw threads thur the pipe and into the drum. It is welded too and old skillsaw wrench I had laying around but a piece of flat iron would work as well.
000_0892.jpg

000_0889.jpg

On the other side I welded the size of the wrench up so I cold tool it too the correct size to fit a CVA drum which is the only one that you can find to fit a Traditions if you damage it, which is what happened to mine.
000_0902.jpg

000_0894.jpg

You be best off with a vice padded with leather or something similar to pad the barrel, to get out the breech plug and a 15" cresent wrench didn't hurt either!
When reinstalling the breech plug may have to be held in somewhat of a tourque to get the drum to thread back into it properly. Just by looks it looks it looked as if it was perfectly lined to my index mark, but the drum did not want to start into breech plug till I put the slightest of torque on it and held the pressure while starting the drum several threads. Be warned by doing this operation you will void your warranty!
Also if you have to go too a CVA they come already predrilled for the nipple and to get to properly indexed for the hammer you will have to use a brass washer underneath the CVA drum. Thin the washer down and make the final index to the hammer by torquing the drum down, which in turn will crush the brass and make a tight fitting properlly indexed drum!!!!!!!
I wish I had made this tool before I damaged the Traditions drum, because I was unable to find a Traditions drum since you are not supposed to remove them, says Tradtions!

rubincam said:
-----why do so many have to take the breach plugs out?WHY WHY WHY
I believe it is about removing the powder drum not the breach plus.
I had to remove my CVA on one gun. Used a crescent wrench on it with nipple still in. it always worked before but this time the nipple broke off. easy outed it and then redrilled the drum to 1/4 x24 now I can use TC or most standard nipples .I have not done this yet but can not see why it would not work . Redrill and or tap the barrel for a new drum and get it with flats on it if wanted. Install it then drill the nipple and now you have a set up with standard threads. I do plan to do that to mine down the line if it has to be removed again. If you do one with flats and have a rock lock and cap of the same size then it would be easier with flats to change them at will just a thought of some thing I am thinking of doing.

rubincam said:
-----why do so many have to take the breach plugs out?WHY WHY WHY

In my case it was an absolute necessity! I tried a search for the past posts to explain but couldn't get search to bring up my old posts. Extreme Dryball Problem and Extreme Dryball Problem part II.
Long and short I was shooting a ball that was at the upper limit for size in my rifle. I then dryballed one. :redface: :shocked2:
I tore the center out of the ball with a puller, wouldn't shoot out, couldnt pump it out with grease, Co2 discharger wouldn't move it!
After finally pulling the breech plug I had to drive it out with a wood dowel and hammer, and I do mean drive it out!
No advice any one gave helped to get it out and it would still be there if I hadn't pulled the breech plug!!!!!!!! :shake: Some lessons are learned the hard way! :surrender:

Latest posts

Back