• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA squirrel rifle 32 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themarmot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Won a CVA squirrel rifle on gunbroker are they considered accurate in enough to make a good hunting rifle ?

not the rifle but the shooter I question when I buy a new rifle..I put mine in a shooting vice get it all set up ,,then see how bad I shoot when I free hand it,,,, :rotf: Only way to be sure is shoot it never met a rifle I didn't like,,been some that didn't stay in camp very long, :wink:

I still have the one my son shot 25 years ago. Was only shot to 50 yds but iirc pretty accurate there. We used single ought buck shot, .012 patch and 20 gr FFg. Grand son is soon to be shooting it. Better dig it out and limber it up.

Only way to know about the one u bought is to shoot it. Oh b'rer fox, please don't throw me into that briar patch.

Mine is really nice and fun to shoot - just like shooting a 22LR with 15-20gr 3F.
It will be look very petite next to a fullsize hawken though

Just got mine this spring. Looking forward to squirrel season, but for now I know it works with these.

image.jpg2.jpg

I still have mine that I built in the early 80's. I haven't shot it in a while, but it is very accurate. As someone said, it shoot like a .22lr... sounds like one too!

Been thinking about a small bore rifle 32 cal. or 36 cal. for ground hogs. What is your thought on the choice and what gun manufacture.
Thanks Jerry

Jerry, I have that CVA .32 and a .36 flintlock long rifle. For me I love the long rifle. Like I said the CVA is very accurate but the long rifle is accurate at longer distances. Most likely because it has a 42" barrel. That plus a little heavier bullet.
Dunno.... It's a toss up but if that's the only small caliber rifle you'll have I'd probably go with the .36. Small enough for small game but would take a little bigger game as well.
The difference between the cap lock and flintlock is up to how comfortable you are in loading and shooting it. Caps are much easier of course and you can use substitute BP while a flintlock you'll need to stay with real BP.

DSC_2611_zpsc0d3b7b0.jpg

I have both a .36 and a .32. They're flint longrifles and they really shoot. For dedicated small game the .32 gets my vote. Want to mix in varmints? Get a .36. They shoot well with identical powder charges and are capable of serious power.

.32 Tn rifle.

.36 SMR.

Thanks for the info.I definitely want to go with a cap lock.Now all I have to do is find one LH.
That is a nice looking flinter. Thanks Again

That is really a nice looking rifle.I particularly
like the maple is that curly or tiger?If you don't mind me asking.What would I expect to pay for one in maple 36cal.cap lock.
Regards
Jerry

Jerry, that little .32 came from TVM. In my order (and a fair amount of telephone talk) I said to make the stock from plain maple as that is quite in keeping with rifles from Appalachia. Well, you see what came in the mail. It is nicely tiger striped and I take that as "getting a little extra". The .36, as you can see is plain and has a nice reddish tone. I don't consider the .32 stock as "plain" at all.

i have a .32 CVA, RH cap lock. i shoot it left or right, don't bother me which side. i do get sparks on my arm left shooting, but i don`t mind. i`m using roundball, 15-20 gr BP. no cloverleafs but can usually hit centre of a playing card at 35 to 50 yards in a supported position now. i`m going to try the minnie ball when i get a mold for it. this one I'm thinking of converting to flint, but jury still out.
i have a pic somewhere of it next to my Hawken .50, and it looks like a toy.

Yes I agree not plain at all.You definitely got a good deal.I called TVM and I was told would take about 9 months to receive shipment.I am to inpatient (and old) to wait that long.

Back