• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Stalker rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayugad

50 Cal.
Reaction score
pix3131388093.jpg

I just bought a new rifle off one of the auction sites. The price was too good to pass up. It is an old model rifle made by CVA called the Stalker. The rifle is new in the box. It is the carbine model. It has a 21" barrel with a 1-32 twist and a beautiful wooden stock. It should be an interesting rifle to shoot some conical out of.

looks like a nice light deer rifle that will work conicals and sabots pretty well. I bet it will like a diet of FFF and Triple Se7en.

Why not try some roundballs and patch? On another general hunting forum a guy reported "pretty good" results with his in-line M/L with roundballs and patch. Tried to talk my friend into shooting roundballs out of his in-line ... but he only wanted to shoot sabots. Sweet little rifle .. enjoy

Looks nice. Please give us a range report!

I am wanting a cheap sidelock to give to a kid that goes shooting with me. Thought it would be a nice surprise. If $$$ was no object I would do better, but I think he will be honored nonetheless. My CVA that started it all is my pride and joy cracked stock and all. I wont sell it!

My guess, unless Cayugad speaks up is this gun was bought for killing deer. It will shoot lead good, CVA always has and It will look likes it looks for a decade or more. It looks like a better made Bobcat to me.

I actually bought it for a couple reasons. One of course was the price. $99.50 for a NIB sidelock rifle with nice wood is cheap these days.
buttstock.jpg

Also I wanted a 1-32 twist rifle to try a bunch of different conicals I have around the house. Also I had read a review on this model rifle. The shooter claimed outstanding accuracy with conicals and moderate powder charges even at 100 yards with the open sights. That got my interest.

It will also be a hunting rifle, and a rifle to enjoy on the target range.

This rifle, or one very similar with a plastic stock might possibly take a different path. There is a young man in the area who's a great kid. He is taking hunters safety this summer and will be old enough to deer hunt. His father mentioned how much the young man enjoys shooting my muzzleloaders... so if his parents approve (since the young man has no rifle to deer hunt with), one of my tuned muzzleloaders might be headed in his direction...

I got a pair for me and my son thinking at 100 it couldnt be much,right? They are great shooters, but I never tryed a RB out of them , got a lock I wish was in my Mountain rifle, it would take a big hammer to hurt this one. Fred :hatsoff:

I have a 1-32 CVA barrel on a gun. I wanted to get to know the gun better before deer season, so I sighted it in with 70 grains of 3f 777 and a patched roundall. I did not shoot it at 100 yards, but off an improvised rest, at 35 yards it was putting up about an inch group. I hunted squirrels with it that weekend getting used to the gun. That is a plenty hot load for deer by the way. If you try the REAL bullet, it will likely need a bore button under it. The Lee Trash Can target Minnie will likely need a paper wrap. Good luck and I hope it shoots good for you!

Runner as much as I hate to say anything good about those turncoats CVA the Deerslayer worked great out of 1 of ours and not the other , go figure. Fred :hatsoff:

What kind of powder charge did you push those CVA 300 grain Deerslayers with? I have some of them and was saving them for this new rifle...

I will guess that they might make a real lethal load with them.

Back