• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Raw wool instead of flax tow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As of late it's been really dry and under burn bans because of lack of rain, so being careful in the woods is imperative.
I love shooting bare ball using flax tow but it smolders badly after the shot, so what about raw wool?
The loading process would be the same, just replacing the flax tow with raw wool.
Has anyone tried this?
Since wool don't burn is it a viable choice?

I have used raw, unwashed sheeps wool in a smooth bore. It worked fine. I used all of it and haven’t found any more or I’d still use it.

I have used raw, unwashed sheeps wool in a smooth bore. It worked fine. I used all of it and haven’t found any more or I’d still use it.
Banjoman I found this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240929-211709.png
    Screenshot_20240929-211709.png
    913.1 KB
I have only use raw wool in my smoothies. Over powder and shot. Works great and it's all I've used the last couple years. I buy it from a couple different guys on eBay and it runs 12-15 bucks for a priority envelope stuffed to the gills and free shipping. Doesn't take much so one pack will last a long time. The only problem I've had was, when my wife got sick, we spent 3.5 months in the hospital last winter. I had just loaded my New Englander 12 and my .56 smoothbore. Never got to hunt so they sat in the vault all winter. I think over that period if time the lanolin leached into the powder. Finally this spring when I got them out to shoot and clean they both failed and loads had to be pulled. Never had a problem leaving them loaded for several days or a couple weeks at a time. Apparently several months is too much. But it is great stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_20240725_174604596.jpg
    IMG_20240725_174604596.jpg
    3.6 MB
I have only use raw wool in my smoothies. Over powder and shot. Works great and it's all I've used the last couple years. I buy it from a couple different guys on eBay and it runs 12-15 bucks for a priority envelope stuffed to the gills and free shipping. Doesn't take much so one pack will last a long time. The only problem I've had was, when my wife got sick, we spent 3.5 months in the hospital last winter. I had just loaded my New Englander 12 and my .56 smoothbore. Never got to hunt so they sat in the vault all winter. I think over that period if time the lanolin leached into the powder. Finally this spring when I got them out to shoot and clean they both failed and loads had to be pulled. Never had a problem leaving them loaded for several days or a couple weeks at a time. Apparently several months is too much. But it is great stuff.
That looks like turkey at the store 😂

Back