• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Trigger Replacement

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most likely just running the sear into the set trigger that's sticking up. Very common problem. Sometimes it's a bigger problem when you screw down the tang screw tight and it pulls the trigger assembly up even further. I'd not mod the trigger, especially of its a 1981. That's a super early model.

One thing you can do is actually heat the sear bar up and bend it upward to give more room between the sear bar and set trigger.

I’d keep adding to the shim height on the trigger and the stock and see if it helps. My inlet on my CVA mountain rifle was crazy deep. It’s shimmed over an 1/8”. I actually used a wood screw because of the thickness. It made it very easy to adjust and get it right.

I replaced the set trigger assembly on my CVA Hawken a while ago with an overpriced one I picked up on eBay. The original had a messed up main trigger return spring that I couldn't find a replacement for. The replacement assembly was not an exact match, but it works after some careful fitting. If you want to try salvaging parts from the assembly I replaced, which looks exactly like the one in your last photo, let me know. I'll send it free if you pay shipping. PM me if you're interested. Not sure it will fix your problem, but its yours if you want it.

So far it is working, but I have not been to the range yet, Not that shooting it would make a difference but, worse case, it is an excuse to go to the range instead of say, mow the lawn, fix the sink, stuff like that.
I will go check it out early this week hopefully. And update this post. I do appreciate the input and advise.
Wish I could find the same rifle for the same price I paid for that one.

Back