• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA "USA" Mtn Rifle - ser numbers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a .50 cal MR serial #62XXX and a .45 serial #42XXX. They both have the hexigon ramrod thimbles and the german silver patchboxes, the .50 has a brown barrel and the .45 is in the white. I know little history about either one as I have just accured them in the last year or so!

Just wondering, did CVA mark their kit guns at all like T/C did? You know, T/C always has a "K" in front of the ser. no. to tell you it was a kit gun.

Hi
I got in on this a little late but My "Made in USA" marked mountain 50 Cal SN is 0027XXX :)

Just to chime in!
I have a 50 cal marked made in USA 1-66
my serial # is 04XX

It has a 2 screw patchbox and round pipes.

I think it is a kit gun.

Anyone got an idea as to age?

It sure shoots great! Better than I can.

Foster from Flint

There's just no way to know absolutely for sure on these MR's unless you have the original owner's receipt in hand from when they bought it. So about all we can do is speculate from what is known, mostly from old catalogs/ads. A logical guess would be that it is a transitonal rifle between the two models right from the factory with parts from both models. Another would be that it's a second model that somebody put a first model barrel on. So as a complete rifle (or kit) that means it would be from some time after 1978/79 when the second model parts first came to be even though the barrel is probably from 1976/77. How long after who knows... could have been put together soon after, or the year before you got the rifle.

Your serial number... could it be 00004XX?

I was digging through my stuff getting ready to go hunting, and came across these items,which might be of interest to this thread. The orange booklet is copyrighted 1976. I believe this came with the .45 kit I bought in '76 or '77.
The other booklet is an instruction manual for assembling a Mountain Rifle kit. Oddly enough, it is copyrighted 1979,and shows an exploded view of the 'second model' MR with 2-screw patchbox and round ramrod holders. This must have come along with the .50 rifle I picked up 2 years ago at a gunshow. I don't really understand this, as that .50 is a definitive 'Made in USA' marked one with 4-screw patchbox and hexagonal ramrod thimbles. Well, another mystery.

S6000345.jpg

Thanks for the addition to the thread. :thumbsup:

It appears the 1979 'model 2' assembly booklet was added to an earlier 'model 1' rifle kit, or vice versa with the first generation rifle added to a second generation kit/box/papers by someone over the years.

Could have even been done by CVA with a "left over" first generation rifle they didn't have the earlier paperwork for anymore.

Only thing that is certain is we will never know sure. :wink:

Dave, my kit gun Mtn Rifle (made in USA marked) does not have any k" prefix to the serial #..Hank

I know, this should be in the 'Pistol' section, but I thought this went well here.
I have two CVA Mountain Rifles, and lately,I thought it might be nice to have the matching Mountain Pistol. look what just came in the mail today:

S6000349.jpg

It will be a shame to open up this old kit, copyrighted 1978 on the box. I have no idea yet what it says on the side of the barrel.

S6000350.jpg

I KNOW that I replied last night, but don't see my reply. :hmm:

My CVA MR kit was a Christmas present in 1975, I'm sure. I was in high school and hunted deer with it the following year while still in school. Its 50cal, "Made in USA" with hexagonal thimbles, and serial number 000127x.

I think you'll find the manufacturers print their catalogs ahead of time, so the MR may have been introduced during 1975 AFTER the catalog was printed.

I picked up one of those in about 1982. I ordered it with a bunch of scopes I was ordering for other people. The kit was on sale for about half price. I am not much of a pistolero but I thought I could build it and sell it at a shoot somewhere. The first shoot I took it to, I took third place in pistol so decided to keep it. I put a Pedersoli single set trigger in it a few months later. I still turn down offers to buy it.

When I was googling about this pistol, I found a nice one that had been assembled and was being sold by TOtW. It really looked good, and that got me wanting one bad. I may start keeping my eyes open at gunshows for one of those .58 Mountain Rifles I'm reading about in another thread.

jeep44 said:
I know, this should be in the 'Pistol' section, but I thought this went well here.
I have two CVA Mountain Rifles, and lately,I thought it might be nice to have the matching Mountain Pistol. look what just came in the mail today...

It will be a shame to open up this old kit, copyrighted 1978 on the box. I have no idea yet what it says on the side of the barrel.

I thought the same, but I went a different way since my companion pistol was going to be for shooting the matches at the Voo's same as my 45 cal MR is. So I got a CVA Siber 45 pistol (circa 88/89). I've never shot a CVA Mountain Pistol, but can tell you the CVA Siber "is" a serious target grade pistol from the way it shoots. All the gang at the local freetrappers group are super impressed with it and get in line to play with it.

Since the CVA's don't really have a collector following as per se... go with your heart. As for what's on the barrel, I doubt it'll be stamped Made in USA.

Of interest to you maybe... MSRP back then for your kit was $59.95, or for $30 more you could get one built by the factory.

excess650 said:
I KNOW that I replied last night, but don't see my reply. :hmm:

That's because you made that post in the MR thread running about their catalog specs. I commented to it there.
Other thread

I have had some luck and got a CVA Mountain Rifle from for some weeks ago at EGUN

After arrival i open the paket and a bad smell cames out.. up`s the rifle was nearly unused at the range on the first view so far but seems to be hanging in a partyroom`s wall for a decade or more and absorb all old cold tabaccosmoke he can.... :cursing:

Klaus :wink:

So i disassemble the gun clean the metalparts and soak the stock with cleaner for a baking oven`s.
After sanding,staining with mahogany waterstain from Clou i rub in some Teakoil for more than 15 times and polish after each with 00 Steelwool and finaly with a soft cloth.
yesterday evening i reassemble the Rifle and takes some pics.

Some Basics :
It was certainly a Kit
Seems to be out of the 1980`
Caliber .45
on the Barrel are engraved Connetticut Valley Arms
Spain and the Serialnumber 039877 but no Made in USA ... unfortunately ... :shake:

but here the pics now

084.jpg

082.jpg

083.jpg

085.jpg

086.jpg

Another one of those items that changed during the production years of the MR's was the stocks. They started out being made with maple stocks and ended up with fancy grade walnut stocks. Not sure what year they changed, yet.

i must be honest but i don`t know what kind of wood it is exactly. Maple maybe? i hope so...
The last Mountains there were offer here in Germany,all are from Dikar/ Ardesa with a beech stock and a simple rearsight.a half pound or more less in Grossweight,offered as a kit for less that 150 Euros.no Rifle for nice to have ...

Klaus

Latest posts

Back