• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA "USA" Mtn Rifle - ser numbers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Klaus, you did a beautiful job refinishing your Mountain Rifle. :thumbsup:

My brother built one just like yours, from a kit many years ago. Even though his barrel was not "Made in the U.S.A.", it still shoots very well. My wife used to shoot it at Rendezvous.

Hope you have fun with yours. Please let us know how it performs for you.

First post here. I have a cva mountain rifle but it is unmarked as to country of origin. Has neither spain or usa on barrel. Ser.#0093247

I suspect that the unmarked barrels may be Deer Creek barrels, but have no evidence to support that theory.

As Pork Chop said you may have a Deer Creek rife. Go to General Muzzle loading forum and go to Deer Creek update. I have a Deer Creek rifle pictured there. Notice the lock how it rounded as the CVA are pointed at the rear. There both the same lock Deer Creek just shaped them different and put pewter nose caps on. Mines a 54 Cal. If it looks the same and has the similar barrel marking it a Douglas barrel.

I will post some pictures after I get it cleaned up and back together. It has the hex or octagon pipes and the lock do's have the pointed back on the lock. Maybe a replacement barrel from Deercreek?

I was lucky enough to get a 45 cal mountain rifle kit new in box a couple of weeks ago for 100.00 It is a little rusty but should clean up well enough for deer season in this new decade/ It is made in the usa and serial number is 0031369. One think I noitced is that i will have to router our the patch box in order to make it fit the box has comes to points but the stock is inleted for a rounded end patch box. I wonder if there was some factory goof up or just read the directions on installing it before I waste peoples time but it is fun to speculate. Having looked a second time at Klau's rilfe the patchbox with the rounded tips mine would look like that if I filed them pointed to round UGH>>>I need to build the wife's dream closet and bookslelves before I get to work on "her rifle"

I think some of the later Mt.Rifles had a patchbox similar to the Hawkens, in fact to me it looks just like a Hawkens. Also the stock in the kit does not have the rear of the lock inletted pointed. It would take no time at all to round off the back of the Lock to fit the inlet! I like the rear of the lock rounded better.

I agree with rounding it off but I want to see what the instructions say The rifle has octagonal ramrod pipes and the 4 screw box I thought at first it was only a 2 screw because the stock only had 1 screw inlet and the patchbox cover had 2 dust bunnies nestled in the screw holes. I was told this kit was under a persons bed for decades. Did CVA also had aluminum jags? I do not think I would use one over brass but interesting none the less the kit also came with an old TC JAG for cleaning the tc breach.

What you think is aluminum could be Pewter. They came w/pewter nosecap and ramrod tips and german silver wedge plates! The Mt. Rifle patchbox has 4 screws and is German Silver, The Hawkens style patchbox had 2 screws and is Brass. By the way Good Price! :thumbsup:

Hey Rouge I was talking about a cleaning Jag being made of aluminum not the patch box I know that those are "German silver" I hope to get this rifle done this spring.

next saturday i will bring the Mountain to the range and i`m courious how it will performs.

take with me .445 and .440 Balls and different Patches.Starting load should be 55 grains Wano Nr.1
unfortunately it`s a long time till saturday comes :hmm:

Klaus

last saturday should be the Day to sight in my new Mountain Rifle but unfortunately :idunno: i could`t do because the V Spring was to much flabby to ignite the caps.Only 6 turns operate as well an ignite the caps...

Anyones suggestion if the V Spring can made be stronger ?? or should i order a new one.

The 6 shots taken are looking to show promise :grin:

Klaus

Klaus, I suggest you order a new spring. Until it arrives, you can try putting a small wood shim in the bottom of the V in your existing spring. A shim about 1/4" long should do the trick. This will make the spring a bit stronger and should work at least until the new one arrives.

Good luck!

Make sure your lock screws are just snug. If you tighten them like a gorilla, it will bind the lock. Also some nipples are slightly over sized and require you to push the cap on all of the way using the hammer.

morning together, :surrender:

yes, i have order a new mainspring for the lock and by the way thx for the hint i will try it

All screws are turned softly not to much to press the V Spring to the wood . the nippels are sanded to the right diamenter at all.
i have try the caps that failed with the Mountain on my Napoleon Le Page an here all fires without any problems , it`s the V Spring for sure

let you know the result soon...
regards

Klaus

Walks Alone said:
jeep44 said:
I know, this should be in the 'Pistol' section, but I thought this went well here.
I have two CVA Mountain Rifles, and lately,I thought it might be nice to have the matching Mountain Pistol. look what just came in the mail today...

It will be a shame to open up this old kit, copyrighted 1978 on the box. I have no idea yet what it says on the side of the barrel.

I thought the same, but I went a different way since my companion pistol was going to be for shooting the matches at the Voo's same as my 45 cal MR is. So I got a CVA Siber 45 pistol (circa 88/89). I've never shot a CVA Mountain Pistol, but can tell you the CVA Siber "is" a serious target grade pistol from the way it shoots. All the gang at the local freetrappers group are super impressed with it and get in line to play with it.

Finally got the data together on that pistol and posted it here:

CVA Siber Target Pistol

I was at the MAAC show in Novi,Mi today,and picked up yet another CVA Mountain rifle-a mint-condition, "Made in USA" .50 cal for $75 :thumbsup:

I believe it to be a factory-assembled rifle,due to the fineness of its finish. It has all the correct "Made in USA" features, and its serial number is 00525xx

I don't know how I missed seeing that yesterday,but even though I already have two of them,I snatched it up. I suppose I will give one to my son now,so we can both have a .50 for hunting.

If anyone is still monitoring serial #'s My Mountain rifle made in usa barrel has 0071882, picked up at a pawn shop for 75 bucks, needed an overall bath and now it shoots good though still a little homely.

75! Wow, nice grab.
Keep diggin around the forum and you'll find tips n tricks fer refurbishing, and make'r a beuty again :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back