• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA "USA" Mtn Rifle - ser numbers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walks Alone

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Re: the CVA "USA" marked Mountain rifles only (not the second, non USA marked version)...

I'm trying to get an idea how many of these rifles were made. I personally know of serial numbers as low as less than 200 (00001XX), and almost as high as 44,000 (00439XX).

That's a lot of rifles (or at least barrels) for a young companies first model of an unproven new style that was only made for a year to maybe a year plus before it was changed to the second model MR.

Anyway, does anybody here have a USA marked MR barrel that is serial numbered higher than 44,000?

Please reply here, or if you prefer send me a private message.

I'm getting some facts (not speculations) straight on these rifles to be posted here later.

Thanks gents.

WA

yup, mines,,00652XX,,
(XX are digits,left out for privacy.)
it's in my hand in the avatar

But serial #'s aren't always an indication of sequintial quantity, part's of the #'s could indicate assembly line or row, factory recieved from or even the assembly worker ID,,,an unknown variable ?

Mine a .45 usa made 00314xx. Also as a side question are the usa made rifles collectable yet?
James Taylor

Dont know about collectable but I have seen them on GB for 400.00 and higher.
I have a friend who has one that has been retired for over 15 years, its in the safe, when I see him next I will get the number for it.

Good point necchi, although it would be pretty hard to contain any of that information in a 3-digit serial number.

I guess it's also possible different configurations had their own serial number blocks (45 cap, 45 flint, 50 cap, 50 flint)... but I highly doubt it as there appears to be same caliber/same lock guns with serial numbers ranging from one end to the other.

Maybe I should have asked for the configuration as well as the serial number range to see if that showed any patterns?

Maybe I also should have asked if they have the correct parts installed for the first model that were changed on the second model (at least 3 I can confirm so far).

:hmm:

I don't think I would call them collectable, but they usually do command a higher price when sold than the non Made in USA MR's do. I'll address why later in the post on everything I'm putting together on the MR's.

well, that's the sequence of mine as posted.

Not sure I can tell ya the configuration of parts as I don't know the differance between 1st and 2nd model. Let us know the diff and I'll help ya more.
I just got mine this spring from the original buyer, said his eyes were bout' gone an just plain gettin old an not shootin anymore.
I sure do like it,,darn thing's a tack-driver :grin: had to bed the front of the trigger, as that area (tang bolt) was a bit wobbled out and wood was dry. He had some pieces of plastic stuck in there as shim, the trigger assembly was riding too high and rubbing the sear, making it tough ta cock. I'm guessing it sat in the cabnet for quite awhile.

necchi said:
....Not sure I can tell ya the configuration of parts as I don't know the differance between 1st and 2nd model. Let us know the diff and I'll help ya more....

Thanks, but I don't see how you'll help with that. I already have documented proof of the obvious parts changes between the first and early second model MR's, so that area is pretty much covered well enough for now.

All I am concerned with right now is barrels stamped Made in USA. Everything else coming up leads to speculation, something I wanted to avoid so this doesn't go the way some of the TC "facts" did.

Pork Chop said:
What defines a first early model versus a second?

From the post that started this thread Pork Chop...

"Re: the CVA "USA" marked Mountain rifles only (not the second, non USA marked version)..."

IOW, the first production 'model' MR's had "Made in USA" stamped barrels and the next 'model' did not.

They also had a capbox held by four screws and a sharper filial than later models. The ramrod pipes were hexagonal rather than round on the later models.

As for the Big Bore models, I think they only had the first model but someone more knowledgeable may know better.

I assembled mine from a kit I think in either 1971 or 72. The number is either 0099107 or 0011107 as the "9's" are poorly formed. I think they are nines, though...I found some very old brass, a trigger guard, butt plate and ramrod throat and reworked the gun to put them back in service...it doesn't much look like a mountain rifle...shoots like a tack driver though...Hank

hank said:
I assembled mine from a kit I think in either 1971 or 72. The number is either 0099107 or 0011107 as the "9's" are poorly formed. I think they are nines, though...I found some very old brass, a trigger guard, butt plate and ramrod throat and reworked the gun to put them back in service...it doesn't much look like a mountain rifle...shoots like a tack driver though...Hank

Thanks Hank. But more than the serial number is "unclear" to you. Your assembly date is a few years before they made and offered the Mountain rifles/kits for sale. CVA the company did first came to be sometime in 1971 though.

I have no idea when my 50cal. perc. Mountain was made. But, the ser. no is 00084xx. It has the toe plate, hex ramrod pipes, 4 screw patch box and and marked "Made in USA" barrel. Of course, I am not sure what no. the company started with in numbering the barrels/guns. Sometimes companies start at another number than 1.

Mine (USA marked) is not a high#, so just wondering if there is a lower# than this in anyone's arsenal.
Mine is 0000060

But, it looks really like it was a kit gun since the wood is finished rather poorly.

Bought it on an auction recently.

My "Made in USA" is a factory .50 percussion, ser. no. 29277. Bought it new more years ago than I care to remember and it still shoots better than I can hold.

Back