• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Damp, FITP, dry ball - what a great day!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamieorr

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Went up to the range this morning - third time out since I got into this black powder shooting. It was a rainy day and even under the shelter everything felt damp. I had a couple of FITPs, and found that the FFFFg dispenser had plugged up, I guess the damp air got to it. Pricking the vent and making sure the pan had a good helping of powder on future shots solved that problem. The Trade Rifle seems to like the pan about 3/4 full or better.

Oddly enough, despite the conditions, ignition was instantaneous on most shots. I usually couldn't hear, see or feel anything before the main charge went off. Like shooting a centre fire rifle.

The barrel fouled up even with wiping between shots, had trouble getting the ball down but the steel range rod made a great slide-hammer. I gave the barrel a double wipe which cleared things up until quitting time.

And oh yeah, I managed to ram a dry ball - does that mean I've joined some kind of club, maybe one for dummies? I realized what I'd done just as I short-started it down six inches, but was saved by the vent liner. I removed that and dribbled 15-20 grains of powder into the chamber, then gave it a few shots from the priming powder dispenser. Put the vent back, rammed the ball home and shot it out.

So this rookie feels he's making some progress. I just have to start getting better groups. I tried wearing my reading glasses, didn't think they'd work but the front sight came into sharp focus - the target stayed fuzzy, though!

Gotta say, this flintlock shooting is great. The only other shooter out today wasn't shooting black powder - all he did was shoot, shoot, shoot, while I got to play with all this other stuff.

Cheers,

Jamie

" dribbled 15-20 grains of powder into the chamber, then gave it a few shots from the priming powder dispenser. Put the vent back, rammed the ball home and shot it out."

Excellent recovery, lad.
:bow:

Dry balling doesn't grant you entry into any special club. It just makes you one of us. All muzzleloaders belong or will belong to this club. Welcome.

Dry balling can also teach us that despite all the cursing and throwing things about, you aren't going to get the problem resolved until you take a calm reasoned approach to get some powder behind the ball and apply some fire in the pan to get the lead out.

aww... but cussing, swearing and generally carrying on is so much more fun. :grin:

I guess I knew how to swear and throw stuff already, but thanks to the forum I had a ready solution to a dry ball as well.

As I said, I'm loving this stuff - I've been smiling all day, I'd like to start every day this way!

Jamie

My wife and I have a system. If praying will fix the problem, she takes care of it. If swearing will fix the problem, I take care of it. If neither work, we figure out a solution.

Jesting aside, resolving a dry ball issue once teaches you that you can do it a second time 6 years later.

And still jesting aside, the accumulated knowledge and experience on this forum is amazing. Or awesome as the kids would say. There is the occasional difference of opinion but then there's more than one way to skin the cat.

Grumpa, I'll match you with a single malt (as befits my heritage!)

Jamie

Heck, I dry balled on the first target at a shooting match a few years ago. Very embarrassing but like you, they let me shoot it out and I continued on. Good thing my life didn't depend on that first shot!

Same here 15c and sunny at the range near Calgary, chatting with shooting buddy and producing a dry ball, :shocked2: no bigy got good screw extractor 5 minutes and we are up again :thumbsup:
Whatever happens when shooting flint there is a solution :blah:

Cheers
Walt

I didn't dry ball last weekend but I did manage to double charge. Sort of the reverse of a dry ball. Seeing as how I was shooting my Bess and I was using a 90 grain charger, the 180 grains of 2F got my attention. But, I never dryballed (this time).

Latest posts

Back