• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dang Lee Mold is warped!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesthomas

70 Cal.
Reaction score
:cursing: The Lee .495 Mold I bought off evil Bay is warped! :( :shake: . Been wondering why my groups were good, close to 1 hole at 25, but at 50 I my groups were 4 to 5 inches. ( I'm used to shooting around 2 inches with .490) So I grabed my calipers and the Balls measure .495 one way along a very faint seam, then they measure .500 opposite the seam. Dagnabit looks like I'll be ordering a new mold tomorrow :( . And I checked like at least 50 to 75 out of about 300. Then again I might just stay with the .490's.

Yup, an aluminum mold is one of the things I won't buy "used" seein's how they's pretty inexpensive new.
Learned the lesson with a set of TC aluminum in 490 once.
It really doesn't take alot to mess those things up, I wrecked my first .490 mold whilst learning.

but at the same time I wasn't cheesy enough to pass it off on someone else, I drilled the molds off the handles so I could keep those and tossed the scrapped mold,,

I hear ya, oh well live an learn. Looks like LEE Precision will be getting a call soon. Lucily I have a .490 mold from them that is perfect. Just wanted to try a larger ball thats all.

Why not send the mold back to Lee, and ask them to fix it? What you describe doesn't sound like Warping, but something wrong with the "cherry" used to make the mold. If I am right, Lee will stand behind their product, and either fix it, or replace it.

Warping can occur in some cases when a very hot set of mold blocks in dunked into hot water- particularly if the blocks are not closed together. The aluminum Alloy used for these molds is designed to resist "warping", from ordinary use.

I have already called them and since I bought it off of Ebay there's not much they can do, they also said the mold got too hot or somebody had thier lead too hot when they used it, thus causing the out of round problem I have. I'll call them again later a see if I can talk them into giving me a new one in place of this one.

Thanks, I just got off the phone with Lee Precision and thats what they said, they will replace it for half price $12.99. Looks like I'm good to go!.

My word! That speaks very well for Lee Precision. To cover a product bought used. I've been thinking about acquiring the necessaries to produce REAL bullets. One more reason to step up the plan.

reddog said:
Ain't nuthin new there!!!

Yup. Never owned a Lee mold yet that wasn't at least a few thousandths out of round. You gets used to it after a while. Lymans are way better.

Back