• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dark bore on Traditions Pioneer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stronics

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked up this gun in really nice condition at a gun show Sat. It came from an estate and the guy took care of it by looking at the outside. I like the feel of it, it has a pistol grip and slim lines to it.
Problem is the bore is rough, no pits or visable signs anything bad with a borelight. But it feels rough when you seat the ball.
What can be done to smoothe the bore?
It does shoot pretty good, 50 cal, about an inch at 25 yds first load 60 grains 3f Gorex, spit patch, wipe between shots.
Any information would be appreciated,
David

Shoot it! That may smooth the bore back out. Could hand lap it or fire lap it with a good lapping compound but if it's shooting good, I would just keep shooting it and it should be fine.

Use steel wool wrapped around a cleaning jag and she should improve.

I always vote for fire lapping a new or used BP rifle. Go buy some JB lapping compound and rub it into 25 patches. When you seat the ball place the side with the compound towards the barrel. Fire off the 25 rounds and your barrel will once again be looking good. Strawstalker/Co.

This sounds like something I can do to better one of my barrels. Thanks for the info. When you Fire Lap, do you use a full load or does it matter?

Latest posts

Back