• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Days Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When going out on a days hunt, what do you carry in your shooting bag, using a 50cal. cap and ball rifle. It seems that I might be taking to much or the bag is to small for my needs

Powder. Caps. Balls. Lubed patches. Pick. Dirty old handkerchief. An Advil and a generic antihistamine tablet. Emergency blanket. Protein bar. Canteen. Knife. Compass. Mini-Bic.

It all varies so much,
how far,
how long,
Is it a known woods or a new area?
Am I missing lunch or dinner?

For shooting? It's a half dozen ball, a roll of patch, a small powder flask and a capper.
And that stuff fit's in a pocket.
If I'm a mile from the truck or less I don't need all the gear for a tearing down or cleaning.

Other items include a knife of course, short length of light strong cordage, fire starting kit and compass.
(all that fit's in another pocket)

Keep it simple.

When carry my T/C .50 Hawken my bag has a short starter, a safety pin for clearing the nipple, a tin of caps, some pre cut and lubed patches,powder measure,leather bag with some .490 balls, nipple wrench. In my pockets I have some granola bars, TP, Bic lighter,handkerchief. On my belt is a hunting knife and canteen.

I might get kicked off here for this reply but here goes.
If I'm deer hunting, I take 3 Maxiballs with powder and attached caps in those green quick load plastic tubes, a short starter, a folding lockblade for gutting the deer, Sonic ear plugs, a pocket camera, and my Thermacell bug machine.

My possibles bag holds a handmade leather container with 20 roundballs, a small brass flask that hold enough powder for about 10 shots, my brass priming powder dispenser, a leather wallet holding extra flints, a short starter, a piece of solid brass for knapping flints, a small tin of patches, a film container holding three lubed cotton balls for emergency firestarting, my powder measure is attached to my strap with a piece of leather as well as a paper clip that serves as a means for clearing my touch hole.

All in all, this a pretty light weight bag that holds all I need. If I want to carry food, coffee, etc, I carry a second bag.

Jeff

If I'm NOT carrying a horn, I'll carry several pre-measured charges, lubed cut patches, RBs, short starter and a capper with caps in it. My knife is in the sheath on the back of the bag, or on my belt if using the other, smaller bag. Normally I have a few cleaning patches, jag and patch puller. I suppose that I should have a nipple wrench....

My FL bag carries similar except has a pan charger, vent pick, spare flints and a knapping hammer/screw turn.

I like to have a small board with 3 or so PRBs ready so as to not have to mess with individual patches and balls for a reload.

Latest posts

Back