• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deal or No Deal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Paskowski

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I came across a Lyman Deerstalker for $89.00. The nipple was a little corroded, but other than that no apparent defects. Barrel and stock showed no signs of damage other than some rust on the barrel, around the screwholes for the scope mount I guessing that's what they're for. The ramrod was missing. Also saw a T/C Renegade for $115.00. It was missing the nipple and had some rust around the barrel opening. I'm leaning towards the Lyman as a project gun. It seems this would be a good way to start this hobby. So what do you all think? The guy selling the Lyman is a decent gunsmith and I'm sure he would lead me in the right direction. He said it pretty well needed a good cleaning.

I say buy it the stock is worth that much, and if you can make a shooter out of it it could be worth up to four times as much :thumbsup: How come I never find a deal like that :(

I went back and checked the T/C Renegade again and it has double triggers on it. Is this normal or were they installed after market?

If I were you I would also get the TC Renegade if you have the money. Slap a good GM droop in barrel on it and you would have a cheep shoooter. just a thought. Ron

WV DAVE said:
I went back and checked the T/C Renegade again and it has double triggers on it. Is this normal or were they installed after market?

There are two different Renegades. The renegade and the Renegade hunter. The hunter has one trigger. Here are a couple of pictures of mine with Green Mountain barrels. They shoot sub 2" groups at 100 yards. Ron
458bennitmountainmag2.jpg

Farspeaker.jpg

Flatlander2.jpg

Buy both of them, you'll seldom if ever hear anyone here complaining about having too many. I've found that it helps if you tell the wife that you bought her one too and that you will go ahead and work up the proper load for her so she wont have to. It is close to Valentines day.

that's 1/2 the going rate on a double trigger renegade! You'd better snap BOTH of those up pronto!

i'll go with the consensus: get them both, and you won't be at all sorry. if, however, you fail to purchase the Renegade, i'll personally go to West- by- God and tell all your buddies that you eat instant grits and that you drink fancy imported beer. :rotf:

seriously- that's a wicked good price on some very good rifles: the stocks alone are worth that. i like the idea of getting them, picking the one you like, and telling your wife/girlfriend/significant other that the other one is for them and you're working up the best load for it.

the Renegade does come with double set triggers, which can be fired set (pull the back trigger until it clicks and the front one becomes about a five ounce let- off) or unset (front one fires at about three and a half pounds). if for some reason you don't like the feel of the factory originals, you can take 'em out and replace them with a set by R. E. Davis which are said to be about the best available. FWIW, i'm happy with mine, so i spent the money on powder instead and i think that you should, too. as best i know, the trigger assemblies are not interchangeable between the Renegade and the Hunter, but i will defer to Roundball, who is the expert on all things Thompson Center. A good clean up will do wonders for a questionable barrel: often what you see is flash rust, and there's a wealth of information on that problem (and how to avoid it) here on this forum.

don't worry about a sketchy looking nipple: the nipple is an expendable part and will wear out with use, so get a few new ones and replace it when it starts to go. (again, i defer to Zonie or Roundball as to the best way to analyze nipple wear: i don't shoot that much percussion, being addicted to rockbanging and proud of it.)

welcome to the muzzle loading world.

(to paraphrase Yoda, once to the blackpowder side turned have you, forever will it dominate your shooting.)

good luck!

Have to agree, go for both. If the bores are good, just refinish the barrels and your good to go. If not, replace them as you can. You can normally find a good used barrel on one of the auction sites for a decent price. Good luck :thumbsup:

WV DAVE said:
I came across a Lyman Deerstalker for $89.00. The nipple was a little corroded, but other than that no apparent defects. Barrel and stock showed no signs of damage other than some rust on the barrel, around the screwholes for the scope mount I guessing that's what they're for. The ramrod was missing. Also saw a T/C Renegade for $115.00. It was missing the nipple and had some rust around the barrel opening. I'm leaning towards the Lyman as a project gun. It seems this would be a good way to start this hobby. So what do you all think? The guy selling the Lyman is a decent gunsmith and I'm sure he would lead me in the right direction. He said it pretty well needed a good cleaning.

I suggest you Swab the bores with a cotton patch & some oil & see if there is rust in them. Also check the nippl threads on the one missing, it may be missing for a reason......

:hmm:

WV DAVE said:

Chances are the corrosion is internal too. People love to shoot Pyrodex in these then clean them poorly. Tight patch the bore with oil on the patch. If its not smooth and even all the way down figure on a new barrel.
Also LOOK at the bore carefully at the muzzle. Magnification, 5-10X, helps. It need not be rusted to be pitted. If you see little craters of the moon you know its been shot with P-dex or T-7.

Dan

Pyrodex is no worse than blackpowder. A little rust probably won't effect the way they shoot.

Even if you just parted them out on ebay, you could at least double your money.

Mark Lewis said:
Pyrodex is no worse than blackpowder. A little rust probably won't effect the way they shoot.

Even if you just parted them out on ebay, you could at least double your money.

This is the truth! :hatsoff:
Ron

I put the T/C Renegade on lay away got it for $100.00. The Lyman had a crack in the stock, so I was alittle leary of it. There is some rust on the T/C and in the tip of the barrel, but for the money I think I'm still making out pretty good. On the end of the hammer which hits the cap there is a v shape notch cut in it is this normal?

WV DAVE said:
I put the T/C Renegade on lay away got it for $100.00. The Lyman had a crack in the stock, so I was alittle leary of it. There is some rust on the T/C and in the tip of the barrel, but for the money I think I'm still making out pretty good. On the end of the hammer which hits the cap there is a v shape notch cut in it is this normal?
yup... :thumbsup: longs it lines up square on the nipple yer good..$100? good deal!

yes it makes it easier to pick out spent caps out of the hammer. great find...I would love to find a hawken or renegade in 54 cal for what you paid. It seems since the election guns went up about 30-40% you did good. You may want to negotiate on the lyman and see how much a stock is, I would suggest if you have a run of luck on good muzzleloaders get a bore light and keep it with you in the car you never know when and you can negotiate on the spot.

HMM! How can anyone tell the difference in one rust or the other? A pit is a pit, a crater is a crater.

LOL! Silliest dam thing I ever heard :surrender:

if there is a crack in the stock of the Lyman, all is not lost. check into the Brownell's website, and you might be able to find the magic goop... it's similar to bedding compound, but not as viscous. (the bedding stuff is about like 5W/30 motor oil, whereas the repair stuff is like water). i bedded a flintlock last year and the compound was about twenty dollars (and you get enough for two rifles).

good luck- i'm sure you'll enjoy the T/C!

Congradulations on the Renegade. Even if you have to replace the barrel, it's still a great buy. Keep an eye open on the auction sites. You can usually find a nice used Renegade barrel for a good price. Sometimes you can even find a smoothbore Renegade barrel. Good luck and have fun :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back