• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dealer ethics

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bioprof

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I purchased a contemporary muzzleloader from one of the large, well-known dealers of "collector's firearms" (I won't mention any names - :grin: ), and found that it was sent to me after someone had shot it and then put it away without cleaning. When I talked to the salesman on the phone, I asked about the condition of the bore and he said it looked good as far as he could see (apparently he didn't look inside the barrel. I still consider the price a bargain for what I paid, but what would you think about such tactics from a company? I'm kind of surprised that they didn't send it to me with a live charge in the barrel.

The first patch that I ran down the barrel came out black, and after running about 100 patches through the barrel, then lapping the bore with scotch brite pads, and then cleaning some more, I finally got all of the fouling out of the barrel after about 2 hours of work.

bioprof said:
I still consider the price a bargain for what I paid, but what would you think about such tactics from a company?

It's bad, of course.

Why not name them. What is to be gained by hiding their identity? Is it politically correct?

If everyone named names, these so-called "reputable companies" might not be as reputable we we all think.

It isn't one of the companies that primarily serves the muzzleloading community.

I gave a very strong hint in my original post as to the name of the company. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

If I had inspected the bore within the inspection period granted by the company, I would have called them up and complained. However, I waited about a week before looking in the bore (because I was busy with work). My main complaint is that I asked the salesman to look at the bore, and he didn't indicate that anything was wrong.

What's wrong with calling/nameing it like you see it. If they deserve protection nothing should have been said.

What is the condition of the bore after you cleaned it? Pitted or not? Do you believe it is worth the money you paid for it? If I bought a muzzleloader from a contemporary arms dealer I would not rely on them to be knowledgeable about muzzleloaders. If it was TOW or comparable, I would have full confidence. Caveat Emptor.

Carl Davis said:
bioprof said:
I still consider the price a bargain for what I paid, but what would you think about such tactics from a company?

It's bad, of course.

Why not name them. What is to be gained by hiding their identity? Is it politically correct?

If everyone named names, these so-called "reputable companies" might not be as reputable we we all think.

I agree, as long as what you say is true (and I am sure it is) there is no slander involved and you have the right to warn other's from befalling the same fate as you, they cannot hold that against you.

After all, the pen is mightier than the sword...

if they told me it was clean and then it turned out not to be after them telling me it was, I'd be hot. :cursing: But if they made good on it I wouldn't worry too much about it. I mean everybody makes mistakes,...don't they? I think they should give you a part refund for your work.

:hmm: It's time to change the espression...."Caveat Emptor"....to "Caveat Venditor"....IMHO. You really do us all a disfavor by not naming the "dealer." It's time to air out the creeps, who are bloodsuckers to the world i.e. Madoff. :shake:

I think he may have, if you read between the lines.

But I agree if your not going to come right out and name names why even post this?

bioprof said:
I gave a very strong hint in my original post as to the name of the company. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

But, since we're all adults here, let's skip the guessing games. You're asking for feedback, so the least you can do is be straight forward and make it easier on everyone.

We shouldn't have to "figure it out". People may not play your game next time.

Oh I wish I was in the land of cotton...old times there are not forgotten...look away,... look away,... look away ......... _ _ _ _ _ l a n d!

:bow: Doh! OK Homer understands now. Well frankly DGW wasn't exactly on the total up and up when the old guy was still alive. They have developed a new reputation, in rec3ent years, for not really caring about what people think of them or the quality of their service---but their merchandise? I haven't bought a single item from them in the past 30 years, too many other smaller, honest guys out there. I am truly sorry you got that kind of service. "Caveat Venditor"....let the vendor beware...unhappy customers can eventually do you in.---- :nono:

horner75 said:
Oh I wish I was in the land of cotton...old times there are not forgotten...look away,... look away,... look away ......... _ _ _ _ _ l a n d!

C-L-E-V-E land....right? :rotf:

He did give their name. Their in Houston Texas. Of course I could have took the name wrong.

Been in their store many times, before I moved up North(North of Fort Worth TX). I can't believe you got a good deal on anything from them. They gots some high prices.

Robert

I'd have been annoyed too, but they did give you an inspection period. You needed to have taken advantage of it. I know you were busy and couldn't, but sometimes these things happen. That's why ethical dealers give the inspection periods to begin with. I don't blame you for being annoyed with them, but they did give you the opportunity to catch the problem. That's not poor ethics, but it sure is sloppiness on the part of whoever told you it's condition.

Swampy said:
I think he may have, if you read between the lines.

But I agree if your not going to come right out and name names why even post this?

Yes, read between the quotation marks.

Everywhere you go to buy something today you'll find someone with no or little knowledge of what their selling.

Been to Lowes or HD lately? I consider the help in those stores totally worthless. No product knowledge anywhere.

When you make an online purchase like this you always roll the dice. Am I actually gonna get what their selling? I've learned to expect problems with every purchase. When you find someone with some actual knowledge don't let go!

If that were to happen to me I would contact the dealer and let them know your opinion . Give them a chance to make it right . Even if your a little past the inspection period they may be talked into honoring it . Then tactfully work into the conversation that you will share your experience , good or otherwise , with the online community ( forums as well as opinion sights ) . I have got cash back from " no cash refund" places and returned without a reciept to places that state " no returns without reciepts " . I even returned a box of commercially loaded ammo ( and its against the law to take it back ) to a local store .
You asked specifically about the barrel and were given false info . Tell them your story and let them make it right .

Back