• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer aren't paper bulls-eyes.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and here I thought it was my great personality or possibly my award winning smile.. --> :grin:
:wink:

Roy said:
and here I thought it was my great personality or possibly my award winning smile.. --> :grin:
:wink:

Well Roy I'm sure you are a "handsome" man, one which all of us could hope to emulate, but I doubt that is what built your client list...

Well heck, Roy's so purty when he smiles that I drove all the way down to GA just to see him in person. And he cooks good too. :grin:

Soon as I get the big discount I'll tell everybody that Roy really looks just like Eric from That 70's Show. :haha:
But he does cook good.

Well, now. Let's not start missing deer just to make ol' Trench feel better about himself. :grin: Pulling a "Trench" eh? :thumbsup:

:haha: In highschool.. we had a friend thats last name was Hooper. Well Hooper managed to tip over a pitcher of soda all over the table one night at a pizza place.. For the rest of that year any spillage was known as a "Hooper" :haha:

So sorry.. :redface: force of habbit to call a shot over the back a Trench..

Last year it would have been a "Jethro" :haha:

Hey... you woulda got the buck fever too watchin' that deer ...for that long ...waitin' for a shot... he was HUGE!!!
:shocked2:
So, when he finally turned sideways, I lifted my head off the stock and pulled the trigger.
:doh:
And shot right over his back.
:redface:

It happens to all of us once in a while Trench. :v

Well folks at least you took a shot, my 1st elk hunt in Montana with a bow I saw an 8 point (western count) bull walk 15 yds in front of me. He was so big I forgot I had a bow and could shoot it lol.

First time I saw an Elk, I forgot to shoot my bow too. I hunted up in Michigan and we had pretty good sized deer. Nothing like an Elk tho'.

Had a Caribou walk 30-40 yards behind me once and bugalled. The Zooologists still think it was a Bigfoot that pooped in the woods.:redface:
Still get a bit of a butt pucker when I think of that one. :rotf: :rotf:

Cheers, DonK

You may have the same problem I once had. Your length of pull may be too long with "thick" hunting clothing on. I missed with my custom rifle way too many times on deer I could have killed with my longbow. In order to reach the trigger I must have moved the barrelunconsciously while pulling the trigger. After the 3rd missed deer in 5 days of hunting I really was mad. I was ready to throw the $2000 rifle in the next garbage can, i was so disgusted.
Shot the rifle at the range. 1" groups at 65 yards. Everything was fine. Gave the rifle to a national champion, the rifle was dead on. But while talking to him we talked about LOP and although he is really tall, he prefers a shorter LOP as well.
After dropping from 13.25" LOP to 12.6" length of pull, the problem was solved. First shot offhand at 45 hard with the 0.62 jaeger literally smashed the deer's heart.
Although think about the influence in fouling versus a clean and "oiled barrel". My 275 year old jaeger shoots the first shot about 5" higher at 75 yards. The second and so on is dead on....

Back