• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer Charges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hanshi, the only way penetration would increase at 75yds over 25yds ( all things being equal ) is if the PRB deformed so badly at 25 yds that the the PRB being larger in size met with stronger resistance, thereby reducing penetration as a result! :dead: Again, stepping up in caliber will help with this problem...also, if the problem is expansion of the PRB at shorter distances then adding more tin to the mix will help hold the PRB together for improved performance at these closer distances...harder lead=better penetration! :hmm:

Lonegun, getting close to game has never been a problem for me...having used the longbow and recurve since I was 16 years old I've stalked many a buck and doe close enough for a killing shot....I believe this is why I have easily gravitated to using a muzzleloader.... I likes my game close, 25 yds and under is jist about right fer me! :wink:

I agree with Brown Bear Bow hunting does make one a better hunter. As an old bow hunter I am always looking at a stand site with the idea of getting close and having the wind to my advantage. It also makes the move to muzzle loading easy. When I am hunting with my cap lock, I try to set up in a way that my shots should be within 50 yards if thing go as planned.

During the winter as I ride the trails on my snow machine, I look at all the deer stands other build and wonder why they would do it that way. It is just a fact that gun stands with great big opennings allow too much stuff to blow in on you. It seems most gun hunters have not learned how to concel their stands or even themselfs. I want to be comforable and out of sight.

Rat Trapper said:
I want to be comforable and out of sight.
I normally only use natural ground blinds I pull together...but I do use one elevated stand on the side of a big oak ridge because I've learned the wind will swing around back and forth there almost hour by hour so I get my scent up higher...and agree on brushing in a stand.

LadderStandPic2CroppedDarkened.jpg

I'm really glad that I didn't ruffle any feathers, but had to wonder as I was posting because it has happened before. I should have known better considering the majority of us here though, so I apologize for that. Glad to know that others here have seen the same results while hunting though, because you can't explain this to those who just read instead of actually getting out and hunting.

WOW... I expected more... :shocked2: If you can come up with a lucid, logical, reasonable explanation for your believes...please free free to express them! I for one am open to others opinions and views, but only if they are expressed...I can't read someones mind...sorry! :shake:

Back