• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer/Elk tag draws

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drew a colo. ML bull tag for unit 44. was there last year for archery it should be real interesting this year.

"TG, I'm jealous. All I could manage this year was to add a deer point and an antelope point, so now I have to decide on either a rifle or archery tag for blacktails ...'

Yeah it can be frustration I recall before the flood of Mdl 70's trhat were retooled to load from the front that most all ML tags were a given usually quite a few less applicants than tags, and then folks would buy the rmainimng if desired, I have waited 5 years for a tage beforem Dad and his pard waited 11 years for their last Antelope tag, but a gut has to make the best of what there is to offer and I think it will get worse considering the trouble the Blacktail hear is in the last 5-10 years, I am certain that all Western Buck tags will be a draw only in less than 5 years, it is spooky to see the lack of Deer/Deer sign so suddenly several years back when they used to ne like fleas on a dog in the Coastal Mts and Willamette Valley, the Valley herd is doing better from my observations but access is the issue there, as nearly all is privatly owned, I think I have enough contacts from friends and old trapping connections to gain adequate places to hunt and the six month season is a real plus.

This year I drew CO either-sex elk, WY Antelope (buck draw and a doe/fawn OTC) and A general region deer tag, and I will find out about UT antlerless elk in a couple days...

Along with my CA either-sex deer archery only tag that I get every year in my as yet frutless attempt to kill a deer with my longbow...I keep geting busted at the draw. But it sure is exciting!! This one goes until Dec 31 so I can hunt pretty late after the other stuff is over.

This is going to be a GREAT fall/winter!!!! With my "skills" and those tags I might shoot something this year.... :surrender:

Sept 10-18th Colorado unit 84 Buck tag and then i may also buy an OTC Bear tag.

Sept 24-30th New Mexico Buck tag. First out of state hunt and its a heck of a place for big muleys!
bigmuley.jpg

That is what we thought last year along with a lot of other hunters we talk to. Then we meet the cowboy pushing the cattle down from the high pastures and feed him a little beer and blackberry and he told us they were down in the thick black timber heading to the private land and sure enough we seen a lot of elk and no hunters.So we will have to stop and see if that feller is around this year.

This is the first year in 6 that I do not draw a ML deer tag! :(

I drew a late season cow elk tag and a Javelina Tag.

Hope The state don't Burn before hunting season!

Right, remember the fires in Yellowstone back in the 80's? There was quite a rise in the elk population due to more open land and grass. And I understand lodgepole Pines actually need fire to open up the seeds from the cones.

The bad thing about fires is, there are usually alot of homes destroyed in the process. I saw Los Alamos just after the fires died down back in '99, many homes lost there. They had another evacuation there last week due to fire, but were let back home just yesterday. But I hear the same fire completely destroyed my family's land, a canyon that was once a thriving mining community. Lots of old structures and mills that were still standing from the 1890's. It's been in the family for that long. We're waiting to hear if it's true or not. Bill

Got a bull elk tag in AZ and (after over 20 some years of applying), I finally got a NH moose tag.

Congrats on the tags, it is a good feeling whan one finaly hits one after years of trying My dad tried for 15 years for an Oregon Antelope tag and got a tag and an Antalope that year. I guess it turns out that quite a few things require fire as part of the life cycle in some areas, the Redwoods in Yosemite come to mind if I am not mistaken.

I drew an either sex elk tag and a deer buck tag. Two of my sons also drew either sex elk tags, the third son drew nothing. Guess he'll be grouse hunting with my percussion shotgun!

That's not a bad number of tags for four people good luck on the hunts, Grouse is always good camp fodder :thumbsup:

Back