• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deerstalker barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BV

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am currently using a .54 Lyman Deerstalker. I have killed several deer with it using 80 grains of 3F and a round ball. I am very happy with the rifle for deer hunting, but am going on an elk hunt next fall. I wonder if the 24" barrel on this rifle causes an excessive loss of energy or velocity compared with a longer barrel. It doesn't seem to be any problem on deer, but I'm concerned it may be a problem on elk at 80-100yards.

I would really like to put a 28" slow twist barrel on, but I can't find anyone who makes one. Another alternative would be to put on a 28" barrel from a Lyman Trade Rifle. Just looking at pictures it seems the barrel hanger is in the same place as the Deerstalker. The Trade Rifle barrel is also 1:48, but I suspect the longer barrel might burn powder more efficiently.

Does anyone have any idea if the shorter barrel really is an issue, or am I just creating a problem?

I think GM barrels for TC hawkens (small stock 15/16" channel) will fit, as will the TC barrels or Investarm barrels (they make the lyman and Cabela's hawken barrels).

The latter ones (Investarm) were offered in 58 cal 1-48 twist for a while and shoot PRB well

BV said:
I am currently using a .54 Lyman Deerstalker. I have killed several deer with it using 80 grains of 3F and a round ball. I am very happy with the rifle for deer hunting, but am going on an elk hunt next fall. I wonder if the 24" barrel on this rifle causes an excessive loss of energy or velocity compared with a longer barrel. It doesn't seem to be any problem on deer, but I'm concerned it may be a problem on elk at 80-100yards.

I would really like to put a 28" slow twist barrel on, but I can't find anyone who makes one. Another alternative would be to put on a 28" barrel from a Lyman Trade Rifle. Just looking at pictures it seems the barrel hanger is in the same place as the Deerstalker. The Trade Rifle barrel is also 1:48, but I suspect the longer barrel might burn powder more efficiently.

Does anyone have any idea if the shorter barrel really is an issue, or am I just creating a problem?

Having killed a few elk w/ bow and arrow Id say your main objective ALWAYS is shot placement. You got a killer there can you use it to double lung an elk? I wouldnt try putting a ball through the shoulder bone as it is larg-ish and may effect penetration (A larger conicle would probably make more sence there then 4 more inches of barrel) BUT I digress.....Keep your range real and hit-em in the boiler room and presto dead elk!
Now get ready to pack-em-out..... :doh: :rotf:

I've had my T/C Renegade 54 Cal 26" barrel with 1:48" twist about 30 years. Never shot elk but have put a lot of deer down with it from 75 to 150 yards. For a long time I shot nothing but 430 grain TC Maxi-balls with 100 to 110 grains pyrodex in it because that's what Thompson Center said it was designed for. They also said it would shoot round balls but made it sound like conicals were better. We now know 1:48" twist actually shoots patched round balls pretty well. I later switched to 425 grain Hornady Great Plains bullets with 110 grains pyrodex because they were more accurate and do not tend to slide out the barrel like the Maxi-ball. That load has never shown any signs of not burning all the powder from a 26" barrel and it is very accurate. I can't speak for your 24" Deerstalker barrel but have heard people compare it to the Renegade. Basically, they are both modern day Buffalo rifles when shooting conicals and will bring down anything you want to shoot at.

The Deerstalker is an excellent rifle and if you do your part, whether its a roundball or conical your going to kill. :wink:

arkrivco

"love those old guns"

If you want a longer slow twist 1:70" round ball barrel I'd call Green Mountain or Track of the Wolf. I'm pretty sure the same 32" barrel I drop in my Renegade will fit the Deerstalker. I think I've even seen that referenced on Track of the Wolf under their Green Mountain barrels.

I wouldn't worry about the short barrel. If it bothers you, try shooting a bullet for a bit more power. I used a .50 Deerstalker with round balls for a lot of years and piled up a bunch of whitetails with it, some of them at around the 100 yard mark. I now have the Trade rifle in .54, but that is because they didn't have the .54 Deerstalker in stock when I orderd my new rifle. The Trade barrel will slip right into the Deerstalker stock.

I put a G M barrel om my Deer stalker all that is necessary is to file the tang a little on each side to get it to fit any GM 15/16 barrel will fit.

Latest posts

Back