• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Delrin ramrod - dissapointed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read the Bevel Brothers tests of the fiberglass rods (and others) and agree that muzzle wear isn't a real problem with them if they (and any other ramrod) is kept clean.

The only real complaint I've heard about fiberglass ramrods that I agree with is after they've been used, the epoxy that holds them together will begin to wear off.

When this happens the bare glass fibers are exposed and can end up getting jammed into the palm of your hand causing some discomfort.

i went to the hardware store and bought a 36" 3/8 brass rod and made my own rangerod. i drilled/tapped the end 10-32. on the other end i installed a piece of an old shovel handle, it makes a great range rod, and cleaning rod. i also made a bore guide for it,and to top it off i made a case for it out of 2" pvc pipe with cap's on the ends. boy, do i get some funny look at the range. :haha:

I have a fiberglass rod I made almost fifteen years ago and have yet to feel any fiberglass fibers coming off in to the hands.I also have one I made the mistake of using to lap a gun barrel. The lapping coumpound embeded into it and ruined it!. My belief is any material will work if properly used, any will give you problems if you are not careful. :idunno: :idunno:

izzyjoe said:
i went to the hardware store and bought a 36" 3/8 brass rod and made my own rangerod. i drilled/tapped the end 10-32. on the other end i installed a piece of an old shovel handle, it makes a great range rod, and cleaning rod. i also made a bore guide for it,and to top it off i made a case for it out of 2" pvc pipe with cap's on the ends. boy, do i get some funny look at the range. :haha:

Good on you. Makin' yer own stuff is part of what this game is all about.
Where in Arkansas are you?

Well yesterday I made a range rod for my .54 using a 1/2 inch oak dowel I got from Home Depot (looked through all of them and found one with a straight grain & no runout) and attached a 10/32 threaded rod tip to it I purchsed from Track of the Wolf. Should be plenty sturdy and & got just a little over $5.00 in the whole thing! :wink:

I think I will sand the delrin ron with some coarse sand paper and if that gives me a decent grip I will take it out hunting.

Even though I am pretty much anti-dowel rod for ram rod use, a 1/2" oak rod should be pretty sturdy. Although that is just too close to bore size for my personal comfort since it can rub and cause wear. But, do yer thing and enjoy.

Back