• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Denim Patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeC

45 Cal.
Reaction score
For you guys that use "denim" shooting patches are you referring to denim as in blue-jeans? If not where do you get it and what thickness is it.

i have some blue "denim" type stuff from Jo anns that is .018 regular blue jean denim would be thicker I believe, it will all work if 100% cotton and the right thickness for the correct ball, patch, bore size.I ahve use old pieces of blue jeans when shooting under sized balls in a smoothy and it worked fine.

i've been saveing my 10 year old sons jean cut off legs as he wears holes in them....the stock i have now is .032, .027, .020, .018 and .015....i also have some white pocket material that's .010, all of it 100% cotton....plus i have ticking that's .017 from wally world :v ...........bob

MikeC said:
For you guys that use "denim" shooting patches are you referring to denim as in blue-jeans? If not where do you get it and what thickness is it.

Whenever a pair of jeans wears out the legs get cut off and tossed in my "rainy day" pile. Don't use them much anymore. Back in the old days (around 1965) we used them often since all there was available for the .58 muskets was .562" molds. Just don't try the denim with the stretch denim though, it's got some funny stuff in it that melts in the bore...just ask me! :rotf:

Most of my rifles use white denim that is about .024". I found it at a fabric store some years ago. I am starting to get low on it and need to haunt some of the fabric stores and find something comparable. My .58 uses blue jean denim. This runs about .030". It starts tight but goes down fine.

Look in fabric departments and stores. When you find a fabric that works, buy all you can afford. Odds are you will never be able to find it again.

I got smart. I sent my wife down to the store to buy some pillow ticking which is supposed to be great for patching according to the books I read.

Unfortunately my .54 burns holes in them. The jeans I had are too thick too.

I would rather make my patches than buy them too. Just gotta find something local that works...
:(

Glen...Its funny how that works...My .54 started burning patches with the store bought Ox-Yoke...
I went to WalMart, bought a yard of ticking, washed and dried, made some of Stumpy's lube...Problem fixed..

What do you use for a wad Reb? I was just tamping down a patch on the powder charge, and then running the patched ball down on top of that and it still burned through. I am using a moose milk mixture I found on another site that has water soluble oil, water, peroxide and alcohol and as a lube it seems to work great.

Where can I buy Stumpy's lube, Hawkeye? Is this stuff a commercial product or is it home brewed?

You can get felt over powder wads or make your own. Hornets nest makes good wadding too. Stumpkillers lube recipe has been posted a bunch of times. If you do a search for stumpkillers moose snot you should come up with it. It does work good. Also, i would leave out the Peroxide in your mix. It can lead to rusting. Check here for the lube recipe[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/203261[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
MikeC, I use denim from WalMart measures .019 soak it a solution of 1-part water sol.oil to 6-parts water lay on hard surface to dry about a day then use for patchs along with.315 hornady balls in my Crocket Rifle get 3/8" groups at 25yds. loads fairly easy too . Shifty

Glenfilthie said:
I got smart. I sent my wife down to the store to buy some pillow ticking which is supposed to be great for patching according to the books I read.

Unfortunately my .54 burns holes in them. The jeans I had are too thick too.

I would rather make my patches than buy them too. Just gotta find something local that works...
:(

Go to the fabric store with your micrometer. You will get some strange looks but it will give you an idea of what thickness cloth you are looking at.

Denim comes in many thicknesses. I have some blue denim that runs about .020, also have white that runs about .024. The heavy denim runs about .030. I have seen thinner denim that runs about .015. Commercial ticking can run from .015 to .020 depending on the manufacturer.

I had the same problem with my Santa Fe. It was burning out .018 Ox-Yoke ticking. Going up to a thicker patch made the .520 balls hard to load. I ended up dropping to a .515 ball and the .024 patching and had no problems since.

Glenfilthie said:
I am using a moose milk mixture I found on another site that has water soluble oil, water, peroxide and alcohol and as a lube it seems to work great.
quote]

Well, if your patches are burning through I would say that lube concoctions is not working at all! Protecting the patch from burning is one of the most important functions of a patch lube. Alcohol is not exactly fire proof. Try Crisco or lard, it's cheap, simple and works if you are adverse to spit. Many people seem to like the Oxyoke wonder wads but I find them expensive and unnecessary. Why add another component to compensate for the failings of your over-complicated patch lube?

I think my problem is that my 'pillow ticking' isn't the right stuff. I am seeing pics that you guys post and the stuff I have is awfully thin.

I am going to be a weirdo and take my micrometer to the fabric shop. For I am a Black Powder Geek; I don't fear red coats, rebs or the Blackfoot - I will not be mocked by mere womenfolk.
:bull:

Latest posts

Back