• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Determining barrel gauge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jal5

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Doing a coarse measurement using a digital caliper of the muzzle I get .537-.545 on the rifle. From the table on the forum that would be a 30 or 29 ga.

Does that make any sense? Would a smoothbore be made in that gauge or am I screwing some measurement up?

Sounds like a .54 caliber barrel where someone has cut out the rifling. Normally, such barrels will measure .550 or .560. 28 gauge is nominally .550". Going much smaller than 28 gauge doesn't make a lot of sense with BP loads. Its been done, but you unnecessarily limit your shooting to rabbits, and squirrel, and only when they are sitting still. Not a lot of shot in a 1/2-5/8 oz. load of shot in a 28 gauge.

Some people shoot PRB in these barrels, and you probably would want to use a .530, or smaller diameter ball in that barrel, if those measurements are accurate. Use a thick patch material in those small caliber smoothbores, and consider using a OP wad or filler between the powder and PRB to improve accuracy.

thanks. I am going to try to get a more accurate measurement on the barrel and will let you know.

It's good to know the bore measurement so that you can obtain the right wads, cards, and ball. But the actual gauge designation is not all that important in muzzleloading guns; you don't have to buy shells for it after all :wink:

A machine shop may have small hole gauges that would give an accurate measurment,from the numbers you have the gun is probably a .54 bore size many go to .55 when making a smoothbore in this size, a .525 ball would likely work, pre 1800 a gun would be named as a gun of X balls to the lb. yours would be around 33balls to the lb,trial and error is the best way to find the right ball and smoothbores are pretty forgiving thet will shoot well with a much smaller ball and thick patch better than most rifles.

Just the way you did it. Measure the inside diameter of the muzzle with a caliper. Don't worry about the guage, all you need to know is the
diameter in inches. Get some .530 balls and a patch thick enough for a tight fit in the bore, but not so tight that you have to use a hammer. For shot, keep in mind that in a muzzleloader you can
use as much shot as you need. My .52 shoots great patterns with 1 1/2 oz.
Deadeye

What type/brand/style of smoothbore is it?If others have the same gun that info may be helpfull

Back in the 60's I got a cheap navy arms 28 gauge shotgun in which I shot ( and still do occasionaly ) 3/4 ounce of #6 shot over 55 grains FF (two drams) It accounted for many bunnies and a few pheasants (back when we had pheasants ).

Those 28 gauge guns are a wonder to shoot for upland game. For close flushing birds, even up to pheasants, they can throw enough shot to bring them down. I wish Navy Arms had sold those 28 gauge guns for more than the year or so they were offered. If memory serves me correctly, they were quickly dropped for the 20 and 12 gauge guns, and then even the 20 was dropped.

as close as I can tell its an african trade musket made from a kit by my uncle in early 1980s. barrel is marked Belgium. Smoothbore octogon to round barrel. a guy on another forum had exact same one and identified it by picture. see my post here on identifying two old rifles for pics.

Back