• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deticated Conical Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my 54 renigate is allso a 'DETICATED' rifle.. if i SPELT it worng, baybe someone will correct me :grin:

..ttfn..grampa..

Well to save myself the embarrassment I would side with Headhunters argument.

But in all honesty I misspelled dedicated. My only defense is that that I have spent a couple of years studying the Russian language and it kind of messes with how I think about phonetic spelling sometimes. Also interferes with my ability to write sometimes; always transposing English script d's with Russian script d's which actually look like English script g's.

At any rate I’m sure you guys get the idea.

Wildpony said:
The nature and spirit of my post is to specifically inquire upon the charachteristics of a rifle expressly "deticated":grin: to the accurate projectoin of conical rather than pached round ball bullets.

Semantics :yakyak:

No; I've just never seen the word "deticated" before and didn't know what it meant. Are you sure you don't mean dedicated, as in "This Is Dedicated To The One I Love"?

Cruzatte

Look. I am not criticizing anyone here for typing or spelling errors. I am quite able to make as many as anyone. But, this site is about communicating to each other and to new readers.

I am a good enough writer to write all kinds of folksy bad grammar and be cute about it, suggesting a much poorer education than I really have. After 7 years of college, and years or writing, I am capable of doing just about anything with a pen. However, pretending I am really ignorant is an affront to the very kind and nice people who do not know how to spell, don't use a dictionary( how can you find a word in the dictionary if you can't spell it????) and did not have my years of education. Intelligence is not measured by years in school, or by how well one writes, or even spells.

However, communicating an idea does require some basic communication skills( like spelling) be applied to the task! I take enough grief from all my college educated colleagues because I am both a shooter, and tracker, and write on both subjects. When I ask someone here if I am understanding what they are trying to write about, its because I do want to know, and the misspelling, which everyone else seems to find it fun to continue, just made up a non-word I didn't understand. I am a lawyer by profession, and have been trained to ask dumb questions.

I do it all the time.

I have no shame.

If I offended anyone with my question, I apologize.

I do thank you for your effort to assure me that I actually did understand what the post was all about. A DEDICATED RIFLE BARREL.

My dedicated slug gun is a 50 Trapper. It will not shoot roundball worth a hoot, so it is a dedicated slug gun.

paulvallandigham said:
Look. I am not criticizing anyone here for typing or spelling errors. I am quite able to make as many as anyone. But, this site is about communicating to each other and to new readers.

I am a good enough writer to write all kinds of folksy bad grammar and be cute about it, suggesting a much poorer education than I really have. After 7 years of college, and years or writing, I am capable of doing just about anything with a pen. However, pretending I am really ignorant is an affront to the very kind and nice people who do not know how to spell, don't use a dictionary( how can you find a word in the dictionary if you can't spell it????) and did not have my years of education. Intelligence is not measured by years in school, or by how well one writes, or even spells.

However, communicating an idea does require some basic communication skills( like spelling) be applied to the task! I take enough grief from all my college educated colleagues because I am both a shooter, and tracker, and write on both subjects. When I ask someone here if I am understanding what they are trying to write about, its because I do want to know, and the misspelling, which everyone else seems to find it fun to continue, just made up a non-word I didn't understand. I am a lawyer by profession, and have been trained to ask dumb questions.

I do it all the time.

I have no shame.

If I offended anyone with my question, I apologize.

I do thank you for your effort to assure me that I actually did understand what the post was all about. A DEDICATED RIFLE BARREL.

I don't think anyone was poking fun at you about the word "deticated". I believe all the ridicule in this topic has been directly aimed at my original misspelling of the word dedicated.

For everyone else, I believe these grammar lessons have run their course and that in order to prevent bruising any egos, primarily my own :), it might be best if we get back to the intended subject

P.S. I used spell check on this post so perhaps I am safe this time. :surrender:

I have a White Mountain Carbine wih a 1 in 38" twist that I'd like to dedicate to conicals, trouble is I haven't found one it will shoot well enough, yet!

I use to shoot those out of 1X60 and 1X66 twist barrels after reading about hw good the 54 was with Douglas barrel in the first Lyman BP book ( I think it was) its the length of the part that's not in your curve to point, keep it short and it should shoot just fine, Horn's worked best out of my 54, bigger the bore more you can get away with it seemed to me, but this was back when anything but 1X66 was :hmm: and :shake: so, :rotf: Getting older I wentto shooting those PRB and never looked back. Good luck. Fred :hatsoff:

Wildpony,

We knew what you were talking about the whole time, Wasn't any real reason to point out the mis-spelled werd.

Have a good en.

Headhunter

i went through the same thing with my WMC 1:20 twist. the good men on this forum helped me to discover that the 370 grain maxi-ball shoots best with that carbine. this is a great place!

It would probably help if I just bought a bunch of different boolits, rather than wait to cast some. :winking:

hello slamfire,

sorry, but don't think i can help. don't know much about that twist in that caliber. all my conical guns are t. c.'s. every one of them rascals shoot the bullets like a champ. only shoot balls out of the long rifles.

maybe someone on this site can give you a hand.. they are all great people...

..ttfn..grampa..

PS.. even the lawyers are OK :rotf: :rotf:

What cal is it ? Fred :hatsoff: from 50 cal on down I had to find shorter max or mine' to work out of the slow twist SO your getting a hand full of different Length is how to start out (same as differnt weight except make sure the nose is about all the same. Fred :hatsoff:

Right now I have some 245 grain Buffalo Ballets, and a mold for 250 grain R. E. A. L.s. Sabots and pistol bullets are easy to find, but lead conicals seem to be an endangered species around here. I'll be goin' to Atlanta next month and will probably look when I pass through Chatsworth. :v

Back