• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

dewclaws

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNICK

40 Cal.
Reaction score
hi all well our muzzleloader deer season just ended and I have the dewclaws from four deer my question is what is the best way to clean the tissue out of them I'v seen hunting pouches with the skin from the foreleg with the dewclaws attatched and also have seen them used as rattles and as decoration so I dont want to throw them away but I also dont want to damage them trying to clean them out. thanks

DNick
I know that if you are making rattles the dew claws are boiled soft and then popped off the hide leaving them hollow. when dried and strung with other claws they make a rattle. I have two elk fore leg skins drying now to brain tan next summer. I did not do anything to the dewclaws but let them dry with the hides stretched out on a board. That may have been a mistake but I will not know until next summer. All I can say is they do not stink and they have been in my shop since November.

Kirby

Boil them for about 20-30 minutes or so, take them out of the water to cool a little and the insides should pop right out, maybe use a butter knive or other dull thin tool to help it along.

If it's too difficult toss them back in the water and boil them some more.

Sorry it's been a long time since I've done this but I do remember the longer they "cooked" the easier they were to clean out.
But you do want to give the dew claw itself time to cool they tear pretty easily if you start working with them too soon after removing from the water.

Just reread your post and noticed you were talking about seeing them used while still attached to the skin, I've only ever used them after detaching them from the skin, and would just drill a small hole in the end to hang off of a fringe or the like. You might also try boiling the hooves if you still have them to see how they clean up too, I never thought to do it before, but I'll have to try it one day

My wife has a bag that was made by a good friend (now deceased) that has the attached dew claws. Jerry made a lot of those bags and they look good and there was never an odor. Can't say how he made them, but I'll bet if you tanned the legs yourself you could make a bag like that.

thanks for the quick replys I think you'v got me headed in the right direction, if anyone has any sugestions on other uses for them please let me know, i'm not quite as far behind on projects as normal so may need to take on a few more. Duane

When I was a kid we used to make turtle shell rattles using the dew claws and slider shells for stomp dancing regalia. If you get enough of them you can boil em down for glue also.

Hello Emery,
Are you referring to Jerry Stainbrook ?
I helped him make alot of those bags many years ago.
Jim

Highhorse said:
Hello Emery,
Are you referring to Jerry Stainbrook ?
I helped him make alot of those bags many years ago.
Jim
Yes Jim, I was referring to Jerry. Great guy and much too young to leave us. Emery

Back