• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Different size caps...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciffer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a box of old #10 caps a few years back for $1 per can. This can of #12 was mixed in with them.I have never seen #12 caps before and explains why #11 caps don't fit my 12g.

The loose caps are left to right #12, #11, #10.

precussion-caps.jpg

I purchased an antique 12g side by side last winter. I couldn't get a #11 cap on the nipple so i removed a nipple and brought to a gun shop owned and operated by a few tradition black powder shooters. they couldn't figure out what happened to the nipple and concluded that #11 caps used to be larger long ago. they sold me a few used #11 nipples for replacement.

now i wonder if anyone still makes #12 caps.

anyone have any idea how old that tin is?

As far as I know, today, caps come in #10and #11, only. For old nipples, you put the nipple in a drill press or hand drill clamped in a bench vise, and then use files to turn the necks down to fit the caps. Or, don't bother :shocked2: :haha: :idunno: , and replace them with new nipples, that already fit #11 caps. Nipples come in a variety of thread sizes. If you can get the old ones out of the gun :shocked2: :shocked2: :hmm: , without drilling them out :( :shocked2: , you can usually find a replacement nipple that fits. If NOT-- and it does happen with some old guns--you drill the hole and retread it to a larger diameter for a size of nipple that you can get.

Good grief. Here we go again. :surrender: :dead:

The cap number means absolutely NOTHING!

Remington No. 11's are actually SMALLER than Remington No. 10's.

Remington No. 10's are NOT THE SAME SIZE as CCI No. 10's.

Remington No. 11's are NOT THE SAME SIZE as CCI No. 11's.

CapSizes.jpg

Paul, I know you've been through this a half dozen times. You need to not only specify the number but the brand of cap as well.

Once upon a time the numbers did give one a clue as to the size of the cap, and there were 12's, 11's, 10's and even 9's. 12's and 9's are no longer made. And the relationship of the numbers has meandered into meaninglessness.

By the way, Remington No. 10's fit both my Uberti Walker and my ASM Walker.

paulvallandigham said:
Or, don't bother :shocked2: :haha: :idunno: , and replace them with new nipples, that already fit #11 caps. Nipples come in a variety of thread sizes. If you can get the old ones out of the gun :shocked2: :shocked2: :hmm: , without drilling them out :( :shocked2: , you can usually find a replacement nipple that fits. If NOT-- and it does happen with some old guns--you drill the hole and retread it to a larger diameter for a size of nipple that you can get.

I have had the old nipples out and have some #11 nipples that fit but would rather use the original nipples. Oh well, atleast I get 100 shots on the original nipples.

Original nipples are usually made from either iron, if old enough, or from some very soft steel. They usually won't give you 100 shots before they are peened down to the point of being useless.

I hope you succeed. Keep track of the number of shots you get and let us know. I am sure that I am not the only member here who is interested in how many shots you get out of an original nipple. :idunno: :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back