• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Disappointments in this life

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too much cylinder/barrel gap? Hammer pushing the cylinder forward?
Or bad caps. Check to see if the primer compound has fallen out.

If that gun never fires I'd guess that for some reason the hammer is not hitting the caps. Possibly a cap fragment in the internals. Maybe put some wax or paper on the caps to see what the hammer is doing. It would be unusual to get a set of caps that bad. Will it fire on a second or third hit? Then look for poor seating caps or weak mainspring.

I thought FOR SURE this was going to be a chain-fire. Count your blessings my son. Give thanks.

1717076335700.png

Sent mine to get Goonerized. JUST SHOT IT SUNDAY for the 1st time. Was doing the same thing. The revolver now works wonderfully and zero misfires or cap jams. WELL worth the money for a favorite. I believe its gonna be more accurate as well but wasn't set up to sight in. I know I would LOVE a front post replaced higher or a front site installed via dove tail. Will try to review the goonerization shortly. If you love that pistol send it to Mike 45L(?) and you'll get back a real nice handling shooter perfectly adjusted. Worth the wait. If Biden don't win I will be sending a few more for the same treatment, if he does, well I dunno?

are you using the right size caps?
Number 10 CCI. I've shot this gun quite a bit and I've never had a problem with it,

I loaded it and left it set for a couple weeks and the Caps just went and learned it seems,
This has happened a few times over the years (ti me) it seems like if caps are taken out of the can and put on the nipple and left for a few weeks they seem to become completely inert

Nipples might be too short.
Thank you for reply no I've shot the snot out of this old piece, it's just that the Caps went inert.

All I can figure is that something in the atmosphere when the Caps are taken out of the can and put on the nipples moisture or something just makes him go completely dead.

After this piece was loaded it was left for a week or two or maybe 3 weeks I'm not sure when I loaded it and put it up in the shelf.

It was not left outside it wasn't dropped in a river it was inside a cabinet in a shelf for something around a couple weeks or more.

Did you buy this new? It looks like the top of the hammer is hitting the cylinder in the video. Maybe the hammer has been modified?

No nothing wrong with the gun .
I remember when I got this the first time ever fired it was it an old piece of railroad tie on the outskirts of Rawlins, don't recall as I've ever had any misfire with this 36 not ever and all the time I've had it and all the Caps I've busted with it.

Just something that's made the Caps go inert

If you are in Rawlins the problem isn't high humidity. But maybe the priming compound blew out and is now in New Mexico. Seriously, I wonder if there is some kind of reaction between the cap compound and the powder. What are you loading with? By the way, that's a pretty neat gun shop downtown.

It was loaded with 2f pyrodx, I believe when it was loaded it was loaded in Montana , and carried to North Dakota where it was stored in a cabinet for several weeks it was then carried for some time until I had some time off from work and got to go out to a bit of a shooting range where I found that the caps would not spark.

I'm really feeling that it had to be that Northern humidity that got to the caps.

So I removed the nipples and removed the caps. The nipples were plugged but it didn't seem wet I cleaned the nipples out and replaced them and put new caps on and it worked as desired

Last edited:
Back