• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Discovery?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pondoro

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I was casting a nosecap (my firts) and I had a "short pour". I fluxed the surface of the cast metal and then heated it and repoured. Later on the "in the white" barrel I found a nicely browned patch. It was where the flux had touched it and removed 100% of any coating (dirt, oil, whatever) from the barrel. Browning was the next step so in a whim I fluxed the entire barrel, heated it with a torch, wiped the greasy flux residue off with rubbing alcohol ( I was afraid to heat the barrel too hot so some flux remained). Then I left the barrel in my humid garage overnight. This AM it was nicely and cheaply browned. I will take a picture and post it. I am not claiming to be the first person to do this but it worked for me. The brown is a little blotchy but I wanted a used look, so I am OK with that.

The flux was "Oatey's Flux for all lead free solders." I was pouring a home brew pewter made from 97/3 Tin Antimony solder to whick I had added maybe 15% lead. The flux worked great on the second pour - the browning was a pleasant suprise.

Latest posts

Back