• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dixie Tennessee Mountain Rifle and Patch lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damon

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Slowly getting used to the Dixie TMR, it is my first flintlock and patched round ball rifle.

My question concerns lubes and the barrel characteristics of the TMR. In my research of this and other muzzleloading forums I have read of using a lube such as grape seed oil or other plant based oil with a tight patch combination and being able to shoot rather long sessions without swabbing the bore.

I find that after 5 or so shots loading becomes more difficult. Is this because of the relatively shallow groves of the TMR or am I doing something wrong. The load that appears to be grouping well for me is 70 gr 3Fg with 0.490” ball and about 0.018 ticking.

Thanks.

I have the 32 caliber version of that rifle. For range use, firing multiple shots, I just use a spit patch and can keep on shooting for quite a while. For hunting I'll use an oiled patch, but do have to swab the bore after just a couple of shots. If you don't like sucking on cloth, a mix of 1:7 Ballistol and water works very well also.

a friend of min showed me this a couple of years ago and i ain't looked back. 40% dawn dish soap and 60% water. he sometimes shoots matches that go for a week and never swabs the first time! soak the patch and load and shoot. if you ever use this you will never use anything else! the 100th ball goes down like the first. the accuracy is outstanding too. and your bore is easier to clean, you can have your grease and "wonder lubes" this stuff is the wonder lube,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

a friend of min showed me this a couple of years ago and i ain't looked back. 40% dawn dish soap and 60% water. he sometimes shoots matches that go for a week and never swabs the first time! soak the patch and load and shoot. if you ever use this you will never use anything else! the 100th ball goes down like the first. the accuracy is outstanding too. and your bore is easier to clean, you can have your grease and "wonder lubes" this stuff is the wonder lube,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Hi Olskool,
I think We don’t have Dawn here in Australia, would any dishwashing detergent work?

Last edited:
Back