• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DIY cleaning patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

formernuke

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'm thinking of just getting some cloth from the fabric store and making my own cleaning patches.

Have you guys done this?
Do the patches have to be round, or can Just cut squares?
Can I use muslim cloth instead of t-shirt cloth?
What size for .50 cal and 12 gauge?

'morning,

Old t-shirts work just fine. Cut it into strips 2-2.5" wide and then reduce the strips to squares. Make 'em slightly larger for bigger calibers, or smaller. Obviously, don't use the parts with designs on them, but there's usually a lot of t-shirt that is useable.

Mike

I'm thinking of just getting some cloth from the fabric store and making my own cleaning patches.

Have you guys done this?
I cut up old tee shirts for patches! I have never bought patches to clean with . I do but patches for loading.

Stylish designer patches only for my precious babies. Armani or Dior scented lightly with pumpkin spice. Oh, and they have to be antique white and round. Perfectly round.

Have you guys done this?
Diaper flannel or other baby flannel for cleaning. Often found in the heavily discounted bolt ends. Any shape you want. Square is easiest to cut. 1 1/2:to 2" will work. As you use the cleaning patches, you can adjust the size. No need to over think cleaning patches. I use the flannel sheets found in resale shops. One flannel sheet will last years.

I took an old hunting sock and cut it up. I needed a snug patch to use with JB bore clean when I gave my 50 cal. a good scrubbing. I don't use them for cleaning after every trip to the range but like to give the barrel a good scrubbing after 5 or 6 trips. With a 50-cal. jag it is Definity snug!

Attachments

• DSC00371.JPG
    DSC00371.JPG
    2.3 MB
You spoiled young'uns and your fancy "cleaning patches!"

Granpappy didn't need no patch! He just peed down the barrel, rammed down some thistle heads, whittled a chunk of 0.25F powder into a cone shape with his eyetooth (he only had one), shoved it under the nipple, and KER-POW! Clean as a whistle! And furthermore... I use old t-shirts, socks, the non-elastic parts of underwear, old bedsheets, worn-out cloth napkins, whatever I have lying around.

Have you guys done this?
  1. All the time
  2. Doesn't matter.
  3. You could. However in my experience cotton flannel is more absorbent
  4. For .50 I'd say inch and a quarter square or diameter would do. For 12 ga., twice that is what I'd estimate.

I go to home depot or Ace and buy rags in a box, yes thats the name ofnit. Then take a couple out and cut the patches I need for my guns. They hold up very well to the cleaning process( one wet, one dry)
And a box lasts a good long time.

Latest posts

Back