• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do Colts Open Tops Shift POI?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had two previous sessions with the 47 Walker and my home built front sight. The unmentionable cylinder was hitting 5 inches high, BP cylinder quite close at a tad low.

Today, the unemotional loads were hitting pretty close to POA, got some decent groups.

So the $64 question is, can that shift if the barrel seats differently in regards to key and arbor?

I had two previous sessions with the 47 Walker and my home built front sight. The unmentionable cylinder was hitting 5 inches high, BP cylinder quite close at a tad low.

Today, the unemotional loads were hitting pretty close to POA, got some decent groups.

So the $64 question is, can that shift if the barrel seats differently in regards to key and arbor?

Yes. If the arbor is too short you will get a bunch of variation in vertical spread. Every time you seat the wedge it'l be a bit different, and if it's bad enough, it'l move around as you shoot.

When the arbor is short, if you drive the wedge in further, it'l raise the point of impact. Only good way to avoid this is to correct the arbor length.

I do have it shimmed. Oddly it was consistent high with unmentionable and not shifting around cylinder change to cylinder change. . I am trying to be consistent with the smack to seat the wedge

Other thought was sight picture but not sure why I would change it as I know to fill the notch with the sight and even on the top. Vs why would I shift even not intentionally with the BP cylinder.

A bit baffled but the groups were better today as well.

I do have it shimmed. Oddly it was consistent high with unmentionable and not shifting around cylinder change to cylinder change. . I am trying to be consistent with the smack to seat the wedge

Other thought was sight picture but not sure why I would change it as I know to fill the notch with the sight and even on the top. Vs why would I shift even not intentionally with the BP cylinder.

A bit baffled but the groups were better today as well.

Is the arbor length exact? If it is, it shouldn't matter how hard you drive the wedge in, unless you're doing it hard enough to actually smash and shift metal.

Back