• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do I need a side by side???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skychief;
Nothing on this website is about "need". It's all about "want". If you "want" one then you are entitled to get one. I have 3 and they are a blast, figuratively and literally, to shoot.
I'm such a poor shot that I "need" 2 barrels. Heck my dog won't even go out until I fire the 2nd barrel. She's been disappointed too many times. Have fun.

Asking members of this site whether you should buy another ML firearm is like asking your lady if she wants to shop for more shoes.
(CHUCKLE)

yours, satx

Well I am going to be the fly in the ointment!

I have owned three Pedersoli doubles and they all have gone!
Too heavy!
Unless I can find a light early one I won't bother again. Unless by a miracle it fitted like a glove! I believe the one to go for are the 20g, I never see them over here though.

B.

Brit -- what brand SXS do you prefer. I have two - one is a Navy Arms 12 gauge (Pietta) I purchased in 86 new and a Pedersoli 10 gauge I purchased in 2010 used (older gun). I'd like to find a NICE 20 gauge at the right price to finish out the lot.

Britsmoothy said:
I understand that the Pietta doubles are lighter. Never had the joy.

They feel as though they weigh about half as much as the Pedersoli's. Dunno the exact weight, but my Pietta 12 SxS is very well balanced, light, might even say lively or spritely. For sure it is lighter and quicker than even the 20 gauge Pedersoli.

I've always wanted a Pietta SxS in 20, but never crossed one's path. In the meantime I shoot a lot of 7/8 oz loads in the 12 and call it a "20 gauge." I'm very content with that arrangement, even if the snowshoe hare and ptarmigan disagree!

My Pietta 12 ga. SxS weighs a bit over 7 lb. Not a light shotgun, but it is very nimble and quick in handling.

Spence

I have a Spanish? dbl 20, never weight but very light. CHEEK slapper :shocked2: They say I hold it wrong :idunno: (I probably do as I have a busted neck with metal etc so my head can be a funny angles depending on stress, how tired I am, weather the Dbacks won etc).

I do really like it though. I believe it was on guns america site, 249.oo in very acceptable condition. Seen several since then as well.

I agree with Britsmoothy, the Pedersoli doubles got heavy, too heavy for my idea of an upland game gun. The 20 gauge is just over 7lbs empty, which is a little better, and they are marketing a fairly expensive 12 which is under 7 lbs (according to their catalogue). I have an old 12 gauge which is under 6 lbs and very nice to carry in field and woods. (Wouldn't want to shoot geese or turkey with it though.) Also found an old 10 which is about 6.75 lbs. I hope you'll have the fortune to bump into one!

If you go double, go original! Owning a shooting original is excuse enough.
You have to know where to look . A lot of folks think they are made of gold but in collector circles and sale sites a good shooting late percussion Belgian or English double can be found, most of the time a lot less than repro.

I have 4 originals and really enjoy knowing how old and what they have seen.
Have an 11ga,14ga,18ga, and a 20ga.
I don't shoot them as a quick 2nd shot at game but more as not reloading as often.
Pictures 456 by t410er, on Flickr

Latest posts

Back