• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do I want a Pedersoli Bess?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevekl

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I heard somewhere, not necessarily here, that the frizzens are soft or somehow not very good. I'm pretty sure this is false because I know Pedersoli makes good products, and a $1000 gun wouldn't have a soft frizzen. But, you know, I'm just making sure.

Anyway, I don't really care about authenticity, I just want the thing to spark well and not blow up in my face, and good customer support is good too. So should I spend the extra $400-600 over a Middlesex or Loyalist Bess?

I have one that I have shot for 20 years and if
I could keep only one gun that would be it..I did
harded my steel and make a stronger main sping but
it never missfires...and that in itself is some
thing...Back then I paid about $345 for it..

I have a Pedersoli Blue Ridge I've been shooting for over 15 years. She sparks as good today as she did the very first time :thumbsup: .

Steve I want to answer your posts title question.

And that answer is YES! You do clearly want the Pedersoli Brown Bess. :thumbsup:

When you have a problem remember we are a forum of enablers at your service! :grin:

Remember you not just getting something to make you happy. Your helping the economy as a whole!:applause:

I never had a Bess but use to have a Pedersoli flintlock long rifle that shot really well. You might be talking about some of the guns coming out of India. I found alot of bad stuff writen on the net about them while I was looking for smoothbores. Saw one pic of a Bess that actually blew apart around the breech plug.

I agree with Wulf. 18 years ,6000 + rounds through it, two main springs, and I hardened the hammer (frizzen) about every two years and one smoothbore first place at the 1996 Northwest Territory make it my favorite flintlock.

PGTMG said:
Steve I want to answer your posts title question.

And that answer is YES! You do clearly want the Pedersoli Brown Bess. :thumbsup:

When you have a problem remember we are a forum of enablers at your service! :grin:

Remember you not just getting something to make you happy. Your helping the economy as a whole!:applause:

True, this is an enabling site for MZ purchasers. I have yet to see someone handing down advice to not buy additional muzzleloaders. :grin:

I love my Pedersoli Brown bess and I am glad that I spent the extra money on it. Its a quality production gun from a well known company.

Hello All

I picked up one for $400.00 with a cracked stock,
waiting for a replacement stock to come in.As far
as whether I think they are better than India made
muskets,can't sat because I like to rework the India made muskets to my specs anyway! :grin:

Cheers,Rob

I've used borrowed Bess's a time or two and I have one on the way right now. When it gets here and I get done putting it together I'll let you know what I think of it.

My advice, BUT IT! They seem to only go up in value. :grin:

I found a guy selling one that has one of those touch holes that jim chambers makes in it. Does seem to be a little faster than the one I had before. But to answer your question YES!!!!

I have only seen one in person and it seemed to me that the inletting was less than perfect. I've heard that the workmanship on these can vary, so it is best to pick one out in person.

Every Pedersoli Bess I've ever seen or fired seemed well fitted and finished and functioned exactly as it should. I no longer have mine, but that had nothing to do with the Bess--I just needed money for a new fowler. I would buy another Bess tomorrow without hesitation.

I think the kits are the best way to go in order to get a correct Bess--or as correct as possible. They give you a little room to play with, especially as far as the wood is concerned. The barrel and lock markings are a tad more difficult to alter.

My Bess was bought used and had been defarbed so that it didn't have any Italian proof markings or the Pedersoli name on it. It was only recently that the man I bought it from told me it was a Pedersoli. I suppose I had always thought it was a kit gun from Track or some such.

Well It seems I am alone here, but I figure my opinion is as good as anyones.. :wink:

I have both a pedersoli bess and a loyalist one, I prefer my loyalist bess hands down, faster and more shure ignition, better brass its all around a better shooting and looking gun in my opinion.

The pedersoli besses are waaaay over priced as far as I see and the one redeeming feature is the walnut stock.

In the end its up to you

I don't have a Pedersoli, but I do have an Indian Bess and I really couldn't bring myself to spend over $1000 for a mass produced replica. For that kind of money I'd kick in a little more and get the real thing.

As I see it, your best option is to buy a used Indian Bess. I spent $600 new for mine, but within 2 months of getting it I saw two used ones, one for $400 and one for $300.

I don't doubt that the Pedersoli is a better gun, but I do doubt that it is significantly more historically accurate or a significantly better shooter.

I have a Pedersoli Bess Carbine that has been shot regularly for 15 years. I had to reharden the frizzen last year. Not too bad a record. The gun is sturdy, accurate, and fun to shoot.

I highly recommend the Pedersoli Bess.

Many Klatch

Back