• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do You Actually Use Your Expensive Custom Guns or Keep Them as Safe Queens?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to look at the top-of-the-line rifles at the M/L shows but would never buy one, for me it would be like driving a Ferrari to a mud bog race.

I get where you’re coming from, and it’s true that not everyone feels comfortable taking a high-end rifle into the field. But for me, a well-crafted rifle is meant to be used, even if it’s just on a special hunt or a trip to the range. While I wouldn’t thrash a beautiful rifle either, I believe there’s a balance between preserving it and letting it fulfill its purpose. After all, the joy of owning a top-of-the-line piece comes from experiencing its craftsmanship in action, not just admiring it from afar. Sure, perhaps you’d want to save the thicket/bramble hunting for your “beater” rifle.

It also begs the question… can one derive every bit as much enjoyment out of a “po boy” barn gun as a custom elegant piece? For some, the answer is likely a resounding “Yes!” For others, maybe not.

I've got (literally, by actual count) three dozen different cartridge calibers. Can you imagine what dies for all those would cost? I only reload 45-70 and that's because I can reload with black powder and lead bullets and shoot as original in my vintage Trapdoors.
Yes I can. And do load multiple calibers. After three dozen what’s one more.

I don’t own anything I wouldn’t shoot. Came close with a boxed Colt Signature pair of 1860 Armies with shoulder stock that was unfired. Once I decided not to shoot them I traded for something at a high-end shop that I WOULD shoot. I have a variety of stuff from flint on up, some I hunt with but never in wet weather or heavy brush. Others it doesn’t matter what the weather is.

I thought my Pedersoli sxs flintlock deluxe was in the theme of this thread . At $2,100 it isn’t even in the mix. I have purchased guns as investments but always with the plan to shoot them. What fun is it to buy a new toy and leave it in the wrapper.

I use and plan to use the custom guns I build at the range and in the woods. If someone asked me to build them a gun so they could put it in their safe and look at it once and a while I'd say "Pass!".
I built a fowler a couple years ago. showed it to a cousin and her husband. He bought it for her birthday. it is still in a hard case under my bed. In their defense they do live in Commieforinastan and are in the process of moving here. Still gives me the twitches enough that i get it out and check for rust etc every month.

My Kiblers, 1 smr and 1 woodsrunner are both for use only in fair weather, my 2 pedersolt, 1 cva, 1 traditions and an old no name po boy from who knows where, was great grandads... are all weather range/hunters... no closet/safe queens allowed here.

When I finally reached the age of reason….. I decided I, me, myself…. is very much worthy to eat off the fine china for every meal….and I pull the triggers on my fanciest best guns every time I want to enjoy shooting.

Spent about 40 years saving the best for some “special occasion” and like Santa Claus it never comes….today is that special occasion if I say it is.

When I finally reached the age of reason….. I decided I, me, myself…. is very much worthy to eat off the fine china for every meal….and I pull the triggers on my fanciest best guns every time I want to enjoy shooting.

Spent about 40 years saving the best for some “special occasion” and like Santa Claus it never comes….today is that special occasion if I say it is.
Hear, hear! I’ve always enjoyed the finer things in life and have had what you might call expensive taste. In the past I’ve allowed my desire to keep things looking immaculate to get in the way of my enjoyment of those things. No more.

I believe the true value of an item lies in the enjoyment it brings through experience, rather than in its mere ownership. In a world where material possessions are often seen as markers of success, it’s easy to fall into the trap of equating ownership with happiness. However, the real joy of having something often comes not from the fact that we own it, but from the experiences it enables us to have.

Last edited:
I had a custom Lancaster rifle made just to my specs. The satisfaction I get from shooting a rifle that fits well, has quick lock time and is very accurate is one of life's great pleasures. If i didn't shoot it I would only know that it looks nice on the wall.
Yes, a custom fit rifle shoots like no other!

For fear of sounding redundant (I have posted this before): I never me a woman too pretty (or too rich) to kiss nor a rifle too fancy to shoot. 90% of my guns are "custom" as I am a lefty flint shooter. I have spent from $700 to multiples (many multiples) of that on rifles. Weather is my only limit. Some guns are "fair weather friends" but they are all close friends. They were designed to do one thing: SHOOT.

ADK Bigfoot

Last edited:
Caution & cleanliness are key factors. Take what you have; safe queen or cherry lane yeehaw, treat them with equal care & caution. History dictates that the heir of a safe queen will one day become a cherry lane lady.

One of. the most expensive rifles I have ever bought. STARTED KILLING PIGS WITH IT AS SOON AS i got it sighted in.

Attachments

• IMG_0334.jpeg
    IMG_0334.jpeg
    734.1 KB · Views: 0
I make all my and my children their guns and we use them regardless of the carvings and engravings. That being said, that gun is the exception. If it was mine, purchased from the gunmaker, I would not bang it around in the trees and brush. beautiful gun ---- hang it. Get another gun to hunt with.

Took many years to keep upgrading the gun collection to guns that are both pretty and useful. I use them all. After I am gone who knows what will become of them ? At least they were properly cared for and utilized while they were mine.

I say shootem if you gotem.
You can't take the guns or the money with you. Just that memory of never experiencing there recoil signature. If you don't shootem while your here.

I'm one of those that have never been a collector. I don't have any custom guns, tomahawks, shooting bags, knives, etc. Never ever had anything collectable stuff made by other makers. I always made my own stuff to use. I have a couple of rifles and a smoothbore and that is the extent of my collection. I need to be happy with what I have and I enjoy the things I have. When I die, my relatives will say' he didn't have much' . I hope in the end that they will say, 'He didn't need much'.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Latest posts

Back