• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do You Actually Use Your Expensive Custom Guns or Keep Them as Safe Queens?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I d
Make the commitment like I did many years ago and sell ALL of your modern stuff: Winchesters, Remingtons, Ithica, Browning, Savage, etc.. (hey can easily be replaced) - then you’ll have enough to buy a nice original.

I don’t know that I want to do that… might need some guns that I can actually use to effectively defend myself against a tyrannical government one day. 😉

Make the commitment like I did many years ago and sell ALL of your modern stuff: Winchesters, Remingtons, Ithica, Browning, Savage, etc.. (hey can easily be replaced) - then you’ll have enough to buy a nice original.
I had an old hunting buddy (banker), that could barely make it out to the duck blind at the end, who hunted with a gorgeous $25,000+(at the time) W.W. Greener side lock. Everywhere he went he took flack for taking such a remarkable piece into the wet and mud. One night one of the younger guys asked why he would buy such an expensive gun and take it hunting. He said, "How much does your truck cost? You know that every time you drive it the value goes down. By the time I'm dead this gun will be worth considerably more than I paid for it, and I'm enjoying it more than your truck that costs three times as much." You can't argue. Makes sense.

When he died it was in the will to my other hunting buddy, and it specifically said he had to return it if he did not take it hunting. Every time we go duck hunting it's in his hand. He doesn't break ice with the stock like I do with my Citori, and he's careful with it in boats, but he still hunts it.

Something like this:

1724259440241.png

Not my thing shotgunning with a shooting glove. I prefer American stocks with a full limb. English stocks with that arrested limb feels weird to me.

Attachments

• 1724259373438.png
    1724259373438.png
    301.7 KB · Views: 0
This goes for old BP military arms too. When I was at the Baltimore Antique Military Arms show back in March I bought an original civil war carbine. Two guys stopped me to check it out and commented what nice condition it was in. When I said, yeah I can't wait to take it out and shoot it Monday they recoiled in horror. One said..."you're going to shoot that gun?" I replied..."I don't buy guns I don't intend to shoot, what's the point.

I had an old hunting buddy (banker), that could barely make it out to the duck blind at the end, who hunted with a gorgeous $25,000+(at the time) W.W. Greener side lock. Everywhere he went he took flack for taking such a remarkable piece into the wet and mud. One night one of the younger guys asked why he would buy such an expensive gun and take it hunting. He said, "How much does your truck cost? You know that every time you drive it the value goes down. By the time I'm dead this gun will be worth considerably more than I paid for it, and I'm enjoying it more than your truck that costs three times as much." You can't argue. Makes sense.

When he died it was in the will to my other hunting buddy, and it specifically said he had to return it if he did not take it hunting. Every time we go duck hunting it's in his hand. He doesn't break ice with the stock like I do with my Citori, and he's careful with it in boats, but he still hunts it.

Something like this:

View attachment 343542
Not my thing shotgunning with a shooting glove. I prefer American stocks with a full limb. English stocks with that arrested limb feels weird to me.
Its called a forend nothing weird about IT ,Not sure about the posters angle but each to his own .
Rudyard

I use them all. If you don't use them, your kids will sell them for $.50 on the dollar when you are gone. It is like having one of those rare violins or guitars and not playing it. Depends on whether you want to use it or look at it.
Or less than that. I've seen time and again kids not being interested what the parents are or leaves to them.. Leave em a Colt and they want a Smith&Wesson. Haha. My kids don't give two craps about cap and ball Colts. It ain't right it ain't wrong. It just is. My life is now so I choose to enjoy them cause they most likely won't.

I see folks posting about all their nice guns. Personally, I would never disclose what I have and own over the internet. No one knows how many potential thieves are lurking to make you a target for a break in. As a former Police officer, I'm just passing on helpful advice as I had seen burglaries and many firearms stolen from good people. If you ever put something up for sale online, the interested buyer, actually the thief, now has your name and address.
Just being online period you should be running a VPN and If your not youd be better served to look into such.

Last edited:

Something like this:

View attachment 343542

@Nav, The banker was right on. In a related discussion on this forum, one about displaying your guns, is a sign on the wall in one guy's home which says "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is your future. Today is your life. Live it." Don't know how many more tomorrows I'll have, so now I'm heavily leaning toward shooting those pistols. Thanks for posting!

Last edited:
I use all my guns. Scratched and broken because I was being an idiot? Then I am very angry and very sad. A little scratched or scraped because I was climbing into a Maine deer stand or beating through Carolina brush to find a juicy wabbit? Not a care in the world. I put a nice nick in a 50s Winchester unmentionable climbing into a bear stand in Maine. It isnt extreme, and I consider it a fine memory. Look I like all my guns spotless and flawless, but at a certain point a small scratch or ding on a gun you stress over is actually very freeing. You enjoy it so much more when it becomes a beautiful tool to use as it was intended. Watch your stock and muzzle in the woods, dont fall on it or close the trunk on it, and go use them to your hearts content. Thats the way I see it.

Originals get care ,my new made ones got so many bush miles & one trip so wet the maple stock saw gaps open round the lock inlet & the wood all blanched ,But it dried out And went back just fine .Cant nurse them just don't use them as a cricket bat but otherwise they have to deal with the odd rough bit same as me ,
Rudyard's view

I got a Colt 1861 Custer that I've handled and pulled the hammer back on more times than I can count. This colt already had cylinder marks from being turned when I bought it but Ive yet to shoot it. I've fondled this gun so much its started to wear the antique finish off from under the trigger guard and starting to wear on the backstrap. Have no intention of this Colt being a safe queen. I do however have every intention of sending it to @45D to do his magic on it. It will be taken care of just like a dear old friend that's for certain but it's never gonna be a safe queen.. That NIB Colt stainless 1860 that's on the way tho...I'm torn on. Because it's NIB. Gonna be difficult for me to not want to turn that cylinder tho and I know it. Not sure just yet but may use it for trading fodder for a 1st gen

Attachments

• 20240829_125024.jpg
    20240829_125024.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240829_124820.jpg
    20240829_124820.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Back