• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you display your flintlock or other guns in your home

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I display them, more or less. Some have pride of place on the wall. Some are stacked in corners. A heritage of uncles, aunts and greats in the SW Virginia hills.
A half mile lane to the house with no cover or concealment. Security system. 7o Pound dog. And me, armed or within reach of a weapon. This is rural and That is no guarantee but it's a lot better than city/suburban.
Miscreants may cause me to take precautions, but beyond that I can not let them govern my life.
SW VA? Where abouts? My old stomping grounds 'till I got dragged down here.

SW VA? Where abouts? My old stomping grounds 'till I got dragged down here.
Family in the hills of Smith and Tazewell counties. Mom was a Crabtree. We had Strouts, Buchanans, Wyatts and others. A few moved over the lines into WV and TN.
Good childhood memories. Granny was 5 miles up a hollow from the two lane. Drive over the mountain to Marion for serious grocery shopping. Me and the other kids in the truck bed and half of us puking over the side with motion sickness. Wood for heat. Wood for cooking. Granny didn't get electricity til 1953 or so. Carry water from a spring. Outhouse in the other direction.

Nobody but my wife knows I own any guns, and I intend to keep it that way. All you need is for one idiot to tell another idiot that your house is "full of guns", and you will be the target of a break-in. I don't talk about shooting or hunting with anybody at my job or church, and very few know where I live. It is sad the we live in such a society, but we do. I worked too hard to get what I have for some meth-head to kick in my door and steal my irreplaceable stuff, that he gets pennies on the dollar for.

Honestly, I haven’t decided on whether to display it or not. On one hand, I hope it’ll be pretty when I’m done. On the other hand it’s a gun… unloaded or not I’m not really comfortable about it not being under lock and key.
brain washing runs deep in this one.
you know what a unloaded gun is don't you?

A club.

A little fyi, my family owned a gun store for 30 yrs, and most of the time when a customer had a gun stolen from a home it was by someone that had been in the house, sons friend, someone that came over with a friend, their so called friend, sometimes guns were recovered others the people knew who took them but couldn't prove it, so just be carful who sees them, If I had a place to I would display one of my flints, but having to move back home to help with my parents that's not an option so they stay in the safe

I leave a thieves gun out for the thief, should I ever get one. It is a roached out barrel, on a plastic stock with a weak lock.
Learned from my dad to always leave something in sight for a thief to steal. Keeps them from breaking into safes, or destroying the place in anger.
Should that POS rifle get taken, it will have served its purpose and the thief won't get anything for the thing.

Earlier today I was thinking about ordering some gun hooks to display mine. I have a couple deer mounts, pic of my dad and uncle (both my outdoor mentors), a bamboo flyrod I built, and a few other things displayed above my fly tying desk to which I was going to add my flintlock to but after reading this thread I may not. My flintlock is too large for my gunsafe so I'll end up hiding it.

Mike in FL, I agree 100% with your first post. Life is too short to spend the time worrying about what might happen. Enjoy them while you can since you can't take them with you. In our LR there are three on display for our enjoyment. There are also three modern guns loaded and at the ready, in that same room, to deal with anyone who would attempt to take the ones displayed. BTW, no kids or grand kids to worry about.

I would like to, if only for my own visual satisfaction. However, with stringed instruments occupying one wall I am a bit short on adequate wall space. And then there is the fear of theft. Zonie once posted that his had been stolen and I have invested too much blood, sweat and corrected mistakes to contemplate that. Still there is the lingering thought of a James West style faux map/painting display with the arms hidden behind.

Latest posts

Back