• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you name your flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pegro1

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Okay fella's,
I was just wondering since we all love our flinters and treat them like a family member do any of you name your rifles? I know Mark A. Baker has a name for his as do some of the more hardcore historical trekkers and hunters, Boone had a name for his as did Girty and Kenton. I actually have a name for mine: Jeremiah and he has served my well on shoots, hunts, and treks.
What's your flinters name?

I named my GPR caplock Betsy and my GPR flintlock Bessy.
I haven't named all the others. Heck, I have a hard time calling my son's by the correct name sometimes. I doubt I'd remember all my rifles names.

HD

I have named mine after all my ex's but I'm running out of manes so next will be the one night stands.but some of those I don't want to remember. :rotf:

keep them smoken
freeonthree

My 16#lb leman full stock .58 with
1-1/2x34"bbl.is "ole Griz"

Kinda...I call the French hunting gun "the fusil" and the early Virginia smoothrifle.. "the smoothrifle"

-----hey SPUD could you put some photos of your leamon on--PLEASE----- :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I call all my firearms "gun" and somehow, depending on which one is being presently used, they all amazingly respond to "gun" and "go off" when the trigger is pulled. Seems like a nice name for a firearm?....Fred

I call my first flinter "the Lancaster" after DGW's advertised name back in '70...my favorite perc rifle is "the teddy bear gun" because a friend's husband turned down my offer of it to hang over the fireplace in their Vt ski place, with the remark, "I think our place is more of a teddy bear place than a gun place"...Hank
the rest of my guns never told me their names so I just call 'em "flinter" or "caplock"

I have an old bear gun I cobbled up 27 years ago, it is dirt simple and as ugly as they come. 62 caliber, a James T McCarthy barrel, no swamp, 34 inches long with a Lott musket lock on it. I named it " Thump " because it kills on both ends!
I have never had to track anything I have hit with it!

I had a very nice iron mounted longrifle that I named " Lucretia " She would sure give a deer a case of lead sickness. I gave her this name to get under the skin of a fellow shooter down here
who can't stand any thing French!!

My First Model Brown Bess is named Old " Dreadnought " The first time I took this Bess to a trail walk, my Friend ( who dosen't like anything French ) was shooting with me. When I touched off my first shot with my Bess, my Friend said " it looked like a broadside from a British Man O War " Hence Dreadnought. It is .77 caliber,
I shoot a .750 round ball and 10 thousands patching, 100 grains of Goex Cartridge.

I sold Lucretia this spring, I have a new Mike Miller Rifle that a name has not stuck on yet.

I had a squirrel gun that I shot for over 20 years and never named it! So for now I just have
Thump and Dreadnought as named guns.

:yakyak:

Beowulf:

All of my B.P. arms have names. For those that use a flint, they are:

Abigail - .50 T/C Renegade
Bessie - .75 Brown Bess
Helga - .62 Doglock
Olga -.72 Snaphaunce

I also have a Flintlock\Matchlock Musket currently being built for me by John Buck. I'll be calling her Wilma.

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

I ordered my brown bess the week Ann Richards (former Gov) died. Her most famous line at a Dem convention, speaking of George Bush 41,"He was born with a silver foot in his mouth", a line I heard several times the week I ordered the Bess, so that bright, shiney musket is named "Silverfoot". I'm not sure it is in her honor however. George 41 won that election ('88) and George 43 defeated her in '94 to become Governor. Anyway, that is the origin of the Silverfoot name for the Bess.

Only one that got a name is the smoothbore NW Tradegun i just got back from Windwalker. It has become known as 'Ol Fence Post. A private joke between Windwalker and i.

I call my flinter "Ol" Lightning" because she never hits twice in the same place. :shake: Mostly my fault. graybeard

My Charleville is 'Suzzette"
it's the name the previous owner had for Her and I promised I would not change it in order that he aould sell her to me for such a great price....
So she is Still and forever "SUZZETTE"

I only have a name for my longrifle and that's Ol' Gittum. But sometimes when it misses what I was aiming at, I call it @$%!&*&?%& !!
:grin:

Connie (for Confidence) is my deer rifle, because of the confidence I have in her.
Sweet Louise is my Brown Bess, because those are the first words I said after firing her first three shots, and they semmed appropriate.
My squirrel rifle still has no name, and that's a shame.

My .36 flinter is named Maggie after my grandmother. My .50 flinter is named Muriel after my mother. I haven't named my .62 flinter as my wife is still alive

.. so far.

Back