• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you name your flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only call it names when it won't hit what it's shooting at. :hmm: :blah:

I did name my two sons, Jeremiah and Christian, respectively. My guns, I just call guns. Naming them (the guns) wouldn't do much good anyway. They wouldn't come if I called them - no way, no how. :)

msj

While me and a buddy of mine were building my rifle it sorta got stuck with the name O' S##t...bascially for the oops's I made while puttin things together.
Highlander

My .60 smoothbore with the 48" barrel is Long Tom
My new .60 smoothbore hasn't earned a name yet.
My Bess is KaBoom
My .54 Rifle is Mason Gun, that's the one with the inlaid Masonic Emblem in the stock

Many Klatch

I've got a .32 that I named Swee'Pea. Shoots sweet and is a pea shooter. Another I christaned Murphy. I had started this rifle 25 years ago. Got the barrel and lockplate mostly in then got distracted by other projects. A few years ago I went to finish it. Everything that could have gone wrong did. So I thought Murphy was the apropriate name.

Yes - I call one Pedersoli and the other Lyman. naming firearms is like naming a hammer or a set of wrenches. People who give firearms names need to step back a click or two and get in touch with reality or take up permanent residence at the nearest "rhondy".

the muzzleloaders are called "the forty" or "the thirty six" or whatever caliber they are. the centerfires are called by thier brand names, e.g. "the Ruger," or "the Steyer." i have always held that naming inanimate objects is a bit eccentric, but just 'cause i don't do it is no reason that someone else isn't entitled to call their whatever by whatever name they see fit.

Hey I said the same thing a couple of times really loud when I stuck a chisel in my thumb! :rotf:

.54 TN flintlock - "Zilpha" after 5x great grandma

.36 TN flintlock - "Shadowmaker" after departed Forum member Two Shadows who introduced me to Roger Sells who built both above rifles.

My daughter has a .30 flintlock - "Little Cracker"
and a .36 TC Seneca - "Spitfire"

Muzzleloaders have personalities (especially flinters!)so they should have names :grin:

Dear TG,
I like your way of thinking. I call mine, "my Harper's Ferry" , "my shotgun" and "my trade musket". Personally, I have never understood naming guns, cars or tools. I do understand naming (certain) co-workers though....
I have one that was not born the normal way, but was anally born. I'll let y'all guess his name...
Respectfully,
David

Begging your pardon, it is a historical fact that
some of our forefathers like Boone, Kenton and Crocket named their firelocks. So when us current firelock shooters who embrase our heritage name our traditional flintlocks it is not a sign of mental illness. As for sending us off to rendezvous...Oh please don't throw me into the briar bush! The worst day at Rendezvous is better
than the best day at work!

:thumbsup:

Yes, I named this one.
Mulegun2.jpg

I named it “Teton”

I built it by the Teton river, hence the name.
I am a big guy, it has a 16.5 inch length of pull.
Smooth bore, front sight only. Shoots where I look.

It was built to be my main deer gun. It was built to
shoot 55 gr. of black. The load was determined first,
then built the gun around that.

This gun is my baby, my child, my friend and companion.
Teton1.jpg

Tinker2

grzrob said:
I had a very nice iron mounted longrifle that I named " Lucretia " She would sure give a deer a case of lead sickness. I gave her this name to get under the skin of a fellow shooter down here
who can't stand any thing French!!

ermmm....Lucretia, is typically an Italian name.
:wink: :rotf: :wink:

I call my 45 cal flint rifle "smokey".

TxRambler said:
I ordered my brown bess the week Ann Richards (former Gov) died. Her most famous line at a Dem convention, speaking of George Bush 41,"He was born with a silver foot in his mouth", a line I heard several times the week I ordered the Bess, so that bright, shiney musket is named "Silverfoot". I'm not sure it is in her honor however. George 41 won that election ('88) and George 43 defeated her in '94 to become Governor. Anyway, that is the origin of the Silverfoot name for the Bess.

And a good thing Jr. beat her out.

Politics asside, I do like the name. Seems to fit and makes an interesting story, I think.

Back